We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific Surfliner - how far ahead to book?

Melbourne...
3 posts
Save Topic
Pacific Surfliner - how far ahead to book?

Hi! I'm an Aussie landing in LAX at 1.20pm on July 16, 2013. I plan on going to San Diego the same day via the pacific Surfliner.

How far ahead should I book my ticket? Will there be a business class seat available if i just turn up at the station say an hour/half an hour before departure?

How long will passport/ customs take at Tom Bradley Terminal at that time of day?

Edit - Can a moderator please move this to a Los Angeles forum?

Edited: 13 February 2013, 06:31
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,196 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacific Surfliner - how far ahead to book?

Hi RebeccaP,

Welcome to the forums.

You can just repost in the LA forum if you like but people from San Diego use the train and also use LAX so we may also be able to help you.

Since you have to claim your luggage and then go through immigration/customs(hopefully you've gotten your ESTA) I'd leave at least an hour for that and then you need to get from LAX to downtown LA where the train station is located. I'd leave about 45min. to an hour for that ride on the express bus. Sooo figure that maybe by 4PM (or 4:30) you'd be at the train station IF your plane gets in on time. The train ride itself is almost 3hrs.

I am sure someone else will come on and tell you about purchasing a ticket.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacific Surfliner - how far ahead to book?

It looks like Del Mar opens on the 17th and Comiccon opens on the 18th so you should be fine with the train. But I hope you already have a hotel becasue they will be sold out all the way to anaheim

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacific Surfliner - how far ahead to book?

Rebecca - are you flying directly in from Australia or from somewhere else? If you are flying in from Australia you might want to rething this. You will already have very long flight, then have to get from LAX to the train station and then take the 3 hrs ride to San Diego. However, if you feel you can handle that, fine.

As longboard pointed out you are coming at the busiest & most expensive time of the year to San Diego due to ComicCon and the opening of the Del Mar. Hopefully you already have a hotel reservation.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pacific Surfliner - how far ahead to book?

As for buying your train ticket in advance, on advantage is the ability of discounts, here is a link to a website that keeps track of the current discounts.

http://www.railserve.com/amtrak_coupons.html

Customs and Immigration should take around 60 to 90 minutes at LAX.

Usually there is no need to buy an Amtrak ticket in advance on the Pacific Surfliner, but then some days, mainly vacation and special events does have it full up, and with ComicCon being offered in San Diego, I would buy in advance.

Melbourne...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pacific Surfliner - how far ahead to book?

?Hi all, thanks for your replies. m coming in on a shorter leg, 10 hours after a layover from Fiji. What is Del Mar? So if I book maybe a week before my flight, would that be ok?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pacific Surfliner - how far ahead to book?

The city of Del Mar is located in Northern San Diego County. Alas, July 17th is Opening Day of the racing season, so that is an issue.

www.sandiegoasap.com/del-mar-california.html

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pacific Surfliner - how far ahead to book?

Hi Rebecca,

To provide further amplification, Del Mar has a thoroughbred horse racing track there, and that's the racing season that the others have been referring to.

http://www.dmtc.com/

8. Re: Pacific Surfliner - how far ahead to book?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 06:16