We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

Mendenhall...
Level Contributor
83 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

Hello fellow advisors! My daughter should hear in the next month whether she is accepted to UCSD or UCSB. Regardless, she chose for her special senior year spring break trip with me, SoCal! I just booked our flights, but I have no idea what to do or where to stay. Here are our only parameters: She needs to visit UC Santa Barbara and San Diego where we are there. We are flying into LAX. I'm trying to come up with a nice itinerary for school visiting, sightseeing, and beach time. I'm nearly positive we are going to have to rent a car for the duration, though I will be honest and say I'm a bit nervous to drive in the famed Cali traffic.

Trying to decide between hotel or condo. Not sure I want to eat out every meal, but maybe that is a given since we'll be traveling in a 220 mile area. Any options for B and B's? Would like something different. We are into adventures with food, etc. My daughter and I are both fairly low maintenance, outdoorsy and high energy. Trying to stay on a budget for sleeping so we can spend more on fun and food.

So, Santa Barbara to San Diego and everything in between. I want to hear from the experts, locals, and those with a heart for SoCal! Thanks in advance!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,208 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

You are right. Just too far to do both places from one location. IMHO, you may want to stay in SD or closer to the University for the SD part and then close to UCSB to get a feel of that area That would be the best way to get an idea of how the cities are so at least 3 in SD, 2 in SB and perhaps a couple close to LAX, Santa Monica if you like. Drive between rush hour times and not during rush hour and you will be fine

Edited: 20 February 2013, 19:16
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

Re your stay in San Diego ... I would definitely explore the two bordering towns near UCSD -- La Jolla and Del Mar.

La Jolla is know for its trendy village and rocky/picturesque coastline. There is also an area called La Jolla Shores, just down the hill from the University that has a great walking/swimming beach AND there's a great casual restaurant right on the beach at the Scripps oceanography branch of the university that you MUST go to if you both love food. It's called Caroline's Seaside Cafe:

…ucsd.edu/About/…

Del Mar is also a great town with a terrific beach at the foot of 15th St. For lunch or dinner, I like Jake's -- again, right on the beach, and moderately-priced: http://www.jakesdelmar.com/

I'm an alum of UCSD, so I'm partial to that school, of course. But your daughter can't go wrong with either one, as long as she can tear herself away from the beautiful beaches!

Mendenhall...
Level Contributor
83 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

Thank you both so very much! I'm getting so excited for the trip. I can't believe that I'm almost 47 and have never been to Southern Cal.

Honestly I think that is my daughter's pull to both of the schools. She's all about the beach. I keep telling her that she will be really busy since she wants to study Engineering.

Any recommendations for where to stay in the SD area? La Jolla or Del Mar? I'm sure they are both nice, but I think being closest to a beach would make her happy. Thank you for the restaurant recommendations. I can't wait!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,294 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

Both La Jolla and Del Mar are expensive areas. What is your budget for lodging? I'd try to stay near the schools to give your daughter a true sense of what she'll be experiencing. BTW La Jolla is not a separate town. It is a neighborhood of the city of San Diego.

The university is about 12min. by car(or less) to a beach.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

My mistake about La Jolla. It is indeed a part of San Diego, as is the campus of UCSD.

Now about where to stay -- La Jolla does have some moderately-priced hotel properties such as Hotel La Jolla (a Kimpton hotel near the Shores beach) and the Best Western Plus Inn by the Sea (in downtown La Jolla).

There are also moderately- priced hotels in what we call the UTC area (University Town Center - a big shopping mall with lots of businesses in the adjacent area)

Tulare, California
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

My daughter is at UCSB and my son attends University of San Diego (the private, small college). I would check out a mission, Santa Barbara is beautiful, as well as San Juan Capistrano. Balboa Park in SD is a must. I think Hollywood is fun, Griffith Observatory, Venice Beach has restaurants down by the sand. In Santa Barbara, we have stayed at Fess Parker or the Canary Hotel, a little hotel off of State Street where there are lots of shops and dining and parking structures. In SD, there are so many, I like to be around Mission Beach. There are shops and restaurants and a little amusement park. We stay at the Dana, off the bay, or in the area by the baseball stadium in town. Brst of luck to your daughter! have fun!!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,950 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

Check out the Pacific Terrace Hotel, located right on the beach in Pacific Beach, just south of La Jolla. The board walk runs in front of the hotel and lots of young people, families are out riding bikes, taking a walk along the beach.

http://www.pacificterrace.com/

Mendenhall...
Level Contributor
83 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

Thanks for the replies! I'm having fun checking all of this out.

9. Re: SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2014, 05:17