We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One dinner in San Diego

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
361 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
One dinner in San Diego

If we have only time for one dinner in SD, where would you suggest? Price is not an object but neither do we equate price with quality/experience. I'd have to be convinced if the restaurant doesn't have a water view :) Thanks for your insights!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,306 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One dinner in San Diego

If I had one last meal to eat in San Diego it probably would NOT be at a waterfront restaurant or view restaurant because so many of them rely on the view to bring people in constantly and if quality seems to slip, no one cares because the location still brings them in.

I might go to Romesco Baja Med, Jayne's Gastropub, Whisknladle or Cucina Urbana.

If it had to have a view I'd settle for George's Modern or 1500 Ocean.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One dinner in San Diego

Hi chic - WHERE in SD? Please don't say anywhere because San Diego is huge and covers many miles. How about giving a general area. Are you talking about Downtown SD or one of the beach neighborhoods?

Also, what type of food are you interested in?

I've got a few choices in mind but not if it isn't in an area you will be or if you want to enjoy your meal with some drinks and not have to drive back to where you're staying they may not work.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One dinner in San Diego

Ok so I took the time to see where you are staying and I see it's Liberty Station.

You were already given some suggestions in your last post for restaurants that do have water view

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k602383…

I think many people would say that Island Prime would be top of the list with a view. Although the close by Bali Hai menu might appeal to you more. Then again if you want what Jimmy's American has to offer that's where you should eat.

They are all fine it's a matter of taste and what you want / like to eat.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
361 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One dinner in San Diego

It was really a very simple question - if I required qualifiers, I would have included them. I live in Minneapolis - by the way, larger than San Diego - I'm familiar with the size. If we cared how local to our hotel we wanted to eat, I would have included that. Just a simple question.

ScottCa - thanks for the suggestions and perspective on waterfront - no doubt spot on

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One dinner in San Diego

i really like c-level restaurant. it's been mentioned several times so do a search. go early so you are guaranteed a water view, order slowly so you can enjoy the great view of the bay during sunset - we have always enjoyed our meals. not cheap but not outragious either.

another place i go occassonally is the crab catcher in la jolla. i honestly can't remember the food so it was probably only average but we have always gone in "off" hours and have had great seats.

Encinitas, CA
Destination Expert
for Encinitas
Level Contributor
559 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One dinner in San Diego

Whoa, chiccharlie, no need to fly off the handle! ellizzie was just trying to be helpful and narrow things down a little. By all the statistics I read San Diego is more than 6 times larger in area than Minneapolis, so her questions were certainly understandable!

I'm glad you're happy with Scott's suggestions, since you may not get many more with that attitude!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One dinner in San Diego

Thanks leucadian, I appreciate it. I was just trying to help. We see people come here regularly that don't realize that the City of San Diego is the 5th or 6th largest City in the United States. I won't look it up but unless Minneapolis is 1 - 4 or 5 it isn't larger than San Diego. Clearly chiccharlie knows that Minneapolis is the 4th or 5th largest city so I'm put in my place.

And since they know that and they are willing to drive from a site miles out of their way in the City of SD to have a meal and then drive miles elsewhere even if it isn't near where they are or where they are staying more power to them.

I offered many waterfront suggestions in their other post essentially duplicating what they are asking in this post. However, it appears I've wasted my time.

BTW here is a map showing the bounderies of the City of San Diego. Not for chiccharlie because they obviously already know but for anyone else who doesn't know.

http://goo.gl/maps/WbQmH

and

city-data.com/zipmaps/San-Diego-California.h…

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One dinner in San Diego

George's in La Jolla.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One dinner in San Diego

Interesting discussion about the size of the cities. I did a quick Google search, and found that San Diego covers 372.4 sq. miles, while Minneapolis by itself is 58.4 sq. miles, and combined with Saint-Paul (Twin Cities) 108 sq. miles.

I also discovered that San Diego is ranked 8th in population, and the Twin Cities would be 19th.

I am afraid that the OP was confused by the friendliness of the San Diego Forum members. We aim to help our fellow travelers, and will try to give them advice that we believe they want or need. Perhaps the OP is used to the rudeness encountered on some of the other forums, and feels compelled to do the same.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: One dinner in San Diego

You could try the Boat House in Coronado, it's on Glorietta Bay, not the ocean. Fine steak and seafood. Or in Hill crest there is the Tractor Room, again good food, wonderful drinks, small but comfortable. No view.