We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never buy tickets on EBAY!

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Never buy tickets on EBAY!

Just a quick note. I purchased two zoo tickets on EBAY so that I could splurge and visit two days in a row.

Well, they look suspicious when they arrived and a quick call to the zoo confirmed my fear. They were stolen from Vons and were of no value.

Just thought I would pass the info along. Might save some of you a little grief. I'm still going to have one great day at the zoo

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never buy tickets on EBAY!

Make sure you send negative feedback on that person on Ebay..3 negs and there out!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
25,604 posts
5,668 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never buy tickets on EBAY!

Write the Better Business Bureau - EBAY will respond to that! It won't get your money back; it will however put EBAY on notice. They do take the time to research and answer in detail any complaint lodged with the Better Business Bureau.

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never buy tickets on EBAY!

pbhomey,

I agree with you. Unfortunately, buyers are at the mercy of sellers. Though I pay immediately here is what could happen. I leave negative feedback - so does the seller. So my 100% good rating goes down the tubes because of a bad dealer. As much as I enjoy Ebay, there is definitely a flaw here.

Anyway, as I understand it, ticket sales at the zoo are an important income for the well being of the animals. So I feel a little guilty trying to get a good deal in the first place.

But thanks to both of you for the advice.

nrh
Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never buy tickets on EBAY!

I might be missing something here, but if the tickets were stolen, maybe you ought to file a police report with the local p.d. (whereever the Vons supermarket was that they were stolen from). Nothing will probably ever come of it, but it might be a more likely avenue to get a refund than filing negative feedback on Ebay or dealing with the BBB. Both of those things strike fear in the hearts of honest people, but I doubt crooks are bothered by them very much.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,707 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never buy tickets on EBAY!

When you leave the negative feedback you need to be very specific and actually say that you were sold stolen items. I cannot see what the seller can say about you to refute that. E-bay does not want to be in the middle of transactions involving illegal sales. In fact my husband(who's retirement hobby is buying stuff on e-bay) says you MUST also report it to e-bay not just in the feedback area but by specific message to e-bay itself.

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never buy tickets on EBAY!

Good advice and I did submit a complaint to Ebay. I also sent a note to the police department with all info.

Fact is, I love shopping Ebay and have had pretty good luck. Often it is the only place I can find what I'm looking for.

I should probably retract the "NEVER" from my ranting title. I was pretty mad at the time. I'm sure there are a lot of honest people out there selling tickets - some good bargains to be found. You just have to be careful.

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never buy tickets on EBAY!

Good advice and I did submit a complaint to Ebay. I also sent a note to the police department with all info.

Fact is, I love shopping Ebay and have had pretty good luck. Often it is the only place I can find what I'm looking for.

I should probably retract the "NEVER" from my ranting title. I was pretty mad at the time. I'm sure there are a lot of honest people out there selling tickets - some good bargains to be found. You just have to be careful.

nrh
Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never buy tickets on EBAY!

Glad to hear you let both Ebay and the police know about these creeps! Please get back to all of us with what, if anything, comes of it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get your money back.

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Never buy tickets on EBAY!

Well, Ebay will not take action against the seller. PayPal will refund all but $5, so that's not too bad.

The seller has a note in her listing that she will leave negative feedback for all buyers that give her a negative. When I asked Ebay about that detail, they said there was not a rule against it. So, really, the rating system doesn't have any value.

After this experience, I really don't want to play on Ebay anymore. It will have to be an item I just can't get anywhere else. Seems the people running the business really don't care about keeping it safe for the buyer.

Funny topic for this forum, though still related. I can't wait to get away from the computer and stroll through the lovely San Diego parks.

Chicago
Level Contributor
488 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Never buy tickets on EBAY!

I think you should leave the negative feedback. What if the seller is trying to unload other stolen tickets? Your feedback can warn a potential buyer. I think e-bayers also understand what is true negative feedback and what is done out of spite. The rest of your feedback should speak for itself - don't let one rotten apple spoil the cart.

I'm glad to hear PayPal refunded most of your money. And the best news is, once you get to beautiful San Diego you'll forget all about this and have the time of your life!