We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabrillo monument

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cabrillo monument

Hi,

I was wondering if you can help me. I'm visiting San Diego for a few days in may and wanted to see the monument if possible. I won't have a car and have managed to find public transport everywhere I want to go except for point loma and the monument. Do you know how I can get there? Or should I just hire a car? Thanks a lot

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabrillo monument

OK, you can do it, but only on weekdays..

Here is the link to the bus map that goes to the National Monument....

http://www.sdmts.com/mtscr/Route.aspx?r=84

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,857 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabrillo monument

Here is an example of how you can use Google Maps Public Transportation option. It is a pretty great tool.

http://goo.gl/maps/IpKf8

uk
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabrillo monument

Thank you for this :-)

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabrillo monument

It really helps to know what your starting point is.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabrillo monument

Hi angela761

Just a couple of tips when visiting the park...

First, it closes at 5 PM every day, so it's better to get there earlier in the day, especially taking public transit (the bus only stops at the monument once an hour).

The month of May is known as "May Gray" around here because of the frequent morning marine layer that brings fog and overcast skies. It typically burns off by mid-morning or midday, but it can last all day in some cases, too. Or, it just doesn't happen at all. (We all know how fickle the weather can be these days.)

Because one of the highlights of going to Cabrillo is to get the fantastic view of San Diego Harbor and the Pacific Ocean from high atop the bluff, you may want to check to see if it's fogged in before making the trip. Still, there's a small museum, gift shop, theater, the lighthouse, and WWII military facilities to see even if it is foggy.

http://www.nps.gov/cabr/index.htm

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabrillo monument

I agree that it's best to go to Cabrillo Nat'l Monument of a clear day. I was fortunate to be there last November on a crystal clear beautiful day. It was stunning - you could see forever. I talked to a couple of people who worked there and they said it was one of the first clear days they had had in a long time. I was there for over 3 hrs and didn't do any of the long hiking trails. I left just before 5:00 when they were closing.

uk
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabrillo monument

Sorry - I'm staying in gaslamp.

Thank you for the tips - ill keep my fingers crossed for a clear day then :-)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabrillo monument

From the Gaslamp station of the San Diego Trolley, take a Green Line trolley north to the Old Town station. From there take bus #28 and get off at the intersection of Rosecrans Street and Shelter Island Drive. From there take bus #84 to Cabrillo NM. The entire trip will take about 90 minutes one way, then the same amount of time going back. Bus #84 leaves from the parking lot at Cabrillo only once per hour, at either :26 or :24 past the hour, with the last bus leaving at 5:24 p.m. So you will need to keep an eye on the time while at Cabrillo.

This method of getting there could only be done on a weekday, since bus #84 does not operate on Saturdays, Sundays or holidays such as Memorial Day (which this year is May 27). For this trip you could buy a 1-day pass for the bus/trolley system for USD $5, you could buy that at a vending machine at the trolley station. Or if you are going to use the buses more than one day, there are also 2, 3, and 4-day passes available. The 4-day pass is only USD $15, a great bargain for 4 days of travel compared to taxis or renting a car.

As mentioned in other replies, it is really only worth it if you go there on a clear, sunny day, because the views are a main attraction of going there. May is known for cool, cloudy, overcast weather in San Diego so you may need to be flexible as to which day you go out there.

At the upper part of the park are viewpoints, the old lighthouse, a military exhibit, and the visitor center. There are hiking trails that start there. If you are interested in seeing the tide pools on the western side, you will need a vehicle, as pedestrians are not allowed to walk the long road down to them. Bicycles are allowed though. The times of low tide, when tide pool viewing is best, are posted at the entrance to the park, or you can get that information in advance here: san-diego-beaches-and-adventures.com/…May

yorkshire
Level Contributor
290 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabrillo monument

You MUST try and get to the monument.

The views are so amazing that the word spectacular does not do it justice.

The small museum is so informative telling you all about Cabrillo and the history of California.

You also cannot fail to notice Fort Rosecrans cemetery on the way up there.All the lines of white gravestones are very humbling.

SC
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cabrillo monument

So glad you posted this bus info, I am planning a trip to San Diego the first weekof April with my daughter and will not have a car. Thanks for detailed bus numbers and route. Brenda