We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego Day Trip

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
73 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego Day Trip

We will be in California from July 7 through to July 15 (returning in early AM on the 15th). We will be basing ourselves in Anaheim. We have to be in DL between July 7 - 11 as my daughter is participating in the Disney Performing Arts Program during that time period and dancing in the park as well. This leaves us with the 12th, 13th and 14th (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) for day trips outside of Anaheim. We'll be renting a car for these three days.

Now to my question...we want to do a day trip to San Diego and will definately be doing Sea World on the day trip but would like to catch a few other sites (other than the zoo) when we are there.

Is it possible to due Sea World on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday in July and also catch some other sites around the City? If so, what would you recommend? I know it's going to be insanely crazy in the summer, but there's not much we can do about that.

For clarification, I will be travelling with three 14 year olds and my parents (who are in their 60s but very active).

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego Day Trip

no...you can't...or at least shouldn't plan on any other activities during a day that you are going to sea world. best plan in my opinion, leave anaheim in the morning...enjoy the drive down the coast, enjoy the evening at a beach in san diego, go to sea world as soon as it opens the next day and drive back to anaheim, if you need to or stay another night in san diego.

but, sea world is a full day...if your group is willing to leave anaheim around 6:00 a.m. and return to anaheim after 10:00 p.m. (i'm thinking about rush hours) then you could do it.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego Day Trip

I'd strongly recommend you spend at least 2 of those nights in San Diego. To drive from Anaheim to San Diego is a minimum of 90 minutes one way, and that's if there's no traffic. If you did it as a day trip, 3 hours of that day will be taken up with the driving. It will feel like a very rushed day and you will be exhausted by it. Stay 2 nights in San Diego, so that you can make the drive down, enjoy something like the La Jolla area that first afternoon. Most of the sights of La Jolla are free and they are described in this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32578-i334-k54207… Then spend the next day at Sea World, and relax in a hotel afterwards, then go back up to wherever you are flying home from. Then you won't feel so rushed. July is hot except for the beaches, so stay at a hotel very close to a beach if possible. In the summer months, Sea World is open late, usually until either 10 or 11 pm nightly, and there is a short fireworks show at 9:45 p.m. So if you don't want to spend all day in the sun, you could consider going to Sea World in the afternoon and staying until the evening closing time. If you do that, though, check the show schedules because some of the shows may have their last showtime in the afternoon.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
73 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego Day Trip

Thanks for the comments. That confirmed what I was thinking that it would be a full day and no other sites would be possible.

Staying in San Diego overnight isn't in the budget. We got an amazing group rate at a hotel in Anaheim and I've been searching for hotels in San Diego and they are way more than what I'm paying in Anaheim so we'll have to endure a long day and make the best of it. :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego Day Trip

Try to schedule a "relax" day in there somewhere. Some beach time would be great. Some members of this forum have noted that after every 2 days of theme parks, they need an "off day" to unwind and relax and recover from the stress, crowds and turmoil of the theme parks. Consider spending a day at the relatively unspoiled Crystal Cove State Park, which is south of Newport Beach and north of Laguna Beach.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,662 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego Day Trip

Are the three 14 year olds all girls?

I might look at going to Fashion Island in Newport Beach, then down to Balboa Island and finish off in Laguna Beach.

http://goo.gl/maps/DujxF

San Diego would be just too much.

Curious what hotel you got in Anaheim?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego Day Trip

as long you just focus on sea world...it won't be horrible. just be careful to try to avoid rush hour traffic. i've done san diego / disneyland in a day numberous times. me, i'd roll out of bed and be in the car by 5:00-5:30 a.m. with the exception of the driver (of course) everyone else could snooze in the car. then you could park at pacific beach and enjoy a breakfast on the beach (consider kono's or the green flash). then head to sea world for their opening time of 9:00 a.m. it's only about a 15 minute drive. spend the day. on the way home, if you want to enjoy another beach meal and time out rush hour, you could pull off freeeway 5 at laguna beach and have dinner there before you head back to your hotel. a casual place i like there, right across from the main beach is bj's pizza. from there it is a relatively short drive to anaheim. if you left there after 7:00 p.m. you should avoid most of the traffic. at least with this plan, you get to see two different beaches as well as your full day at sea world. have fun.

Seattle
Level Contributor
321 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego Day Trip

My family visited Sea World after a long road trip from Seattle (after spending 3 days at Disneyland) and I was actually disappointed. Since the entertainers don't interact with the sea animals any more (after the trainer accident), it wasn't as good as in past years. My recommendation would be to skip Sea World, and spend your time doing other activities in San Diego. One cool thing that my 14 year old niece really liked was surfing lessons at Pacific Beach. She and I took private lessons (they have group lessons also) and we were surfing within an hour! That was a blast.

Other cool places to visit: Coronado Island. You can drive their by car over the high bridge or take the ferry shuttle across the bay. They have bikes you can rent on the East side and ride over to the West side to the hotel Del Coronado. Either Pacific Beach or Mission Beach has a nice boardwalk area by the beach (with plenty of parking), and you can ride the amusement park rides or check out the shops.

The San Diego Zoo is nice, as well as the Wild Animal Park. Balboa Park is also nice if you're into museums.

8. Re: San Diego Day Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2014, 04:15