We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to park when picking up someone from airport

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to park when picking up someone from airport

We will be picking up our daughters from the airport in SD at Terminal 2 East. Where is the best place for us to park while doing this?

Also, where will we find the shuttle bus to take us to Alamo car rental? We will be arriving at Terminal 2 East.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to park when picking up someone from airport

For your shuttle bus to Alamo, follow the signs for "Ground Transportation/ Rental Cars" to the traffic island which is across the street from where private vehicles are picking up their passengers (you will walk across the "sky bridge"). Don't worry, it's easy. These links may be helpful to you:

gothere.com/sandiego/Airport/Terminal-2.htm

www.san.org/sdia/at_the_airport/maps.aspx#t2

For picking up your daughters, park in the Cell Phone Lot off of Harbor Drive as you approach the airport. There are signs showing you where to turn right for the lot, assuming you are approaching from the city.

More info/map below:

www.san.org/sdia/parking/cell-phone_lot.aspx

Edited: 26 March 2013, 23:17
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to park when picking up someone from airport

Thanks for the good links on the airport.

We would like to go in to the airport to greet our daughters when they arrive. I gather the Cell Phone lot is not the place to park if we do that. Do you agree we should park somewhere else if we plan to go into the airport?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,555 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to park when picking up someone from airport

We never park and actually go into the terminals to pick up people.

You would have to follow the signs to the parking lots and park. Then walk to the terminal.

Most folks I know just have the person they are meeting walk out to the curb after they get their luggage.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,093 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to park when picking up someone from airport

The cell phone lot is a place to wait, and then go and pick someone up at the curb when they are ready. This is what I do when Im picking someone up or being picked up so that either the person picking me up or if Im doing the picking up never needs to get out of the car.

If you want to park and go inside just follow the signs to parking as you are pulling into T2.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to park when picking up someone from airport

If you want to greet your daughters inside the terminal, then you are correct -- you should park in the "Short Term" lot for Terminal 2 -- just follow those signs as you're driving into the terminal. Here's the link for that -- also shows the rates:

http://www.san.org/sdia/parking/default.aspx

One of the downside to doing it that way is that you won't be able to get past the security checkpoint to actually meet them at the arrival gate, right? But you can at least position yourself to greet them as they walk past the security station and into the public area of the terminal.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to park when picking up someone from airport

Hi Lovely - I must say that I have to agree with those who say wait in the cell phone parking lot. When your daughters land they can call you and you meet them curbside. As said, you can't actually meet them much sooner than that inside the terminal due to security. I recently picked up my sister and her husband this way.

However, if you choose to pay for parking and wait for them to land that is really a personal choice. If you want to do that you should. I believe someone has already given you a link on the airport parking.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to park when picking up someone from airport

I've read all your replies to my husband and we believe you are all correct about the Cell Phone lot. It sounds a lot easier than parking farther away and then hauling all the luggage across to the parking lot. Every airport is different so I'm glad I asked about this. Once again, thanks for the replies.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to park when picking up someone from airport

I'm getting excited for you for this much needed upcoming trip!

Edited: 27 March 2013, 03:59
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to park when picking up someone from airport

Thanks, Elizabeth. We leave on Monday and I'm getting very excited about it.

10. Re: Where to park when picking up someone from airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2014, 04:16