We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coronado or Downtown San Diego??

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Coronado or Downtown San Diego??

My husband and I will be in San Diego July 14 to 17th. It is the last leg of our coastal trip (starting in san francisco) and we are likely to be quite tired. If we stay in Coronado we are looking to stay either at the Del, the Marriott, or the Loews. I have heard that the Del is beautiful, but some of the rooms are not as nice as others, and that we must be mindful of that if we book there.

Not sure if it is better to stay in downtown SD.

I like a luxury hotel that is within walking distance to shops, restaurants, etc. with a nice pool.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coronado or Downtown San Diego??

Hi - Welcome to San Diego !

You said that you like to be within walking distance to shops & restaurants. Because of that you need to eliminate Loew's. There is nothing within walking distance.

Both The Del and the Marriott fit that. I can't help with picking the rooms at The Del. The new section I've heard is quite nice but pretty expensive.

You won't find a hotel in Downtown with the grounds like The Del or the Coronado Marriott. The only advantage I can see for staying there is if you are at all interested in staying out past 10 or 11:00 at night. Most place on Coronado (with a few dive type bar exceptions) close at that hour. The 3 nicest hotels on the water / bay / marina are the Manchester Grand Hyatt, Marriott Marquis Marina and Hilton Bayfront.

The US Grant is a luxury hotel but there's no pool. The Westgate is another one and it has a sports club with a pool but I'm not sure if their guests use the pool for free or not.

Edited: 18 April 2013, 17:55
Level Contributor
34,979 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coronado or Downtown San Diego??

The Del is oceanfront and has a very nice pool! We had a room in the Victorian section which was very clean and modern. Loved The Del! :).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coronado or Downtown San Diego??

Thanks for your reply.....We are leaning towards the Del, does anyone know if you can request specific sections? ie new vs old? I hear some of the rooms do not have air conditioning and are very dated. That may be a problem since we will be there in July.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,246 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coronado or Downtown San Diego??

Check out the average and record temps for San Diego when you consider whether or not AC is a requirement for your lodging choice. The average high in July is only in the low 70s on Coronado. Record highs are in the 80s. Combine that with low humidty and a sea breeze and I think a jacket is more useful than AC.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coronado or Downtown San Diego??

If it were me I'd call them. I'd tell them that I want either the new bldg or a renovated room in the Victorian bldg. I would tell them what I want and don't want. I'm sure they'd be accomodating

http://www.hoteldel.com/rooms.aspx

Oh, I'm not sure how much it will matter but I just noticed your dates. Have you checked to see if they have availability? You are coming at a time leading up to San Diego's largest convention of the year, ComicCon, which begins on the 18th. Some attendees and the advance set up teams need to come early. The average convention goer won't be able to afford The Del so I'm not worried about them taking up rooms. And probably none of the advance teams will likely stay there either. Anyway, like I said, I'm not sure how much it will matter. Hopefully it won't affect your visit.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,498 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Coronado or Downtown San Diego??

Im not 100% sure and I dont feel like looking but I thought when you book a room on the Del website you can choose different room types? Obviously the least expensive are the least desirable rooms.

Dana Point...
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coronado or Downtown San Diego??

First, I would definitely go for the Del. Loews is too far down the Strand, and the Marriott, while very nicely located right beside the San Diego Bay (beautiful views of the Bridge and SD skyline), the Del is (1) THE DEL - note history; (2) located on the beach, which is Dr. Beach's choice this year for Most Beautiful Beach in the US...or something like that; and (3) located on Orange Avenue, Coronado's main street. This will put you within walking distance of much of Coronado's restaurants, shops, the public tennis courts, etc., etc. Unless you are uncomfortable with weather in the 70's and ocean breezes (unless we're having a rare heatwave), you won't need A/C. And if the room itself is a little old...I like to think of the hotel room as just the place to shower, sleep, and recharge my batteries before going out and exploring the area! Enjoy our beautiful city!

Here's a link to a live webcam of the Del grounds and Coronado beach: http://hoteldel.com/webcam/index.html

Edited: 18 April 2013, 23:39
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coronado or Downtown San Diego??

Thank you everyone for your reply. I called the del this afternoon, and they had a special where you pay for 2 nights and get the third night free. When I checked yesterday on their website, that promotion was blocked out for the month of July. I guess it was meant to be :)

Booked a room in the Victorian building, which is the original building but has just been renovated.

I'm sure it will be beautiful!

Thanks again for all your help

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coronado or Downtown San Diego??

We are in Coronado now and absolutely love it here. We've been in the downtown core many times and I'm always happy to cross that bridge and get back to the peacefulness of Coronado. I don't think you will regret your choice.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,226 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coronado or Downtown San Diego??

Book your hotel quickly what ever you do, July 18 is the first official day of Comic Con and rooms in San Diego will sell out from July 16 through July 21.