We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need reassurance about the Residence Inn San Diego Central

Sharon...
Level Contributor
29 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
I need reassurance about the Residence Inn San Diego Central

Hello! I am traveling to San Diego in early July with my boyfriend and 6yo daughter. We've reserved a "penthouse" at the Residence Inn San Diego Central--prices were cheap and with the kitchenette, seemed like a good way to save some money on meals. Rereading reviews and some other threads in the forum though--I'm getting nervous! Can anybody reassure me that this hotel is okay? We will have a rental car and don't mind driving downtown, etc. We plan to go to the Zoo, Safari Park, Legoland, SeaWorld, PETCO Park. With a kid though, we'll probably be back at the hotel by evening/for dinner and not too concerned about being able to walk around in the area. Really, we will be gone most of the day and just there to sleep. Does this hotel seem like a good fit for us?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need reassurance about the Residence Inn San Diego Central

Yes, the Hotel is just fine, it is located right off the 163 Freeway in the Kearny Meas area. Basically an industrial area with lots of car dealerships and shops. The main focus of the Hotel are business folks, not tourism. But if you have a car, fairly central and if all you want is a place to sleep, works quite well.

I used to work a couple blocks away from the Hotel, and never had any worries about safety. Plenty of good places to eat, with a focus on Asian food due to the mix of folks who live in the area. I love Niban for Sushi, just a few blocks west of your Hotel. Nearby is a Boomers Amusement area that offer Mini Golf and other attractions your child might like.

https:/…

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need reassurance about the Residence Inn San Diego Central

The hotel gets good reviews on Trip Advisor

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d83078-R…

The location might not be ideal for running back in the middle of the day depending on where you are. But other than that .... I don't see any negative comments about the area.

Reviews from yelp.com look good, too.

yelp.com/biz/residence-inn-by-marriott-san-d…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,967 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I need reassurance about the Residence Inn San Diego Central

Safety is not an issue, but its not a great location for a tourist, a very blah area.

New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need reassurance about the Residence Inn San Diego Central

How much is it per night...wouldn't you rather be in a scenic area near mission bay or pacific beach...these are close to seaworld

Sharon...
Level Contributor
29 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I need reassurance about the Residence Inn San Diego Central

Thanks for your input, everyone! It is $154/night... would love to stay in a more scenic area but am trying to stay within budget!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,149 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need reassurance about the Residence Inn San Diego Central

I'd stop worrying and just start planning your fun activities!!

You'll be fine! July is VERY expensive in our scenic areas!!

Edited: 23 April 2013, 14:35
New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I need reassurance about the Residence Inn San Diego Central

We found a condo at capri by the sea 185 per night...take a look at pacific beach rentals on vrbo

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I need reassurance about the Residence Inn San Diego Central

The advantage of the Residence Inn SD Central is the quick access to the freeways to get to all the attractions. As Riff M said, start planning your fun activities.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I need reassurance about the Residence Inn San Diego Central

I agree that you'll be fine. Just plan your stay. They reviews are overwhelmingly positive. The closer you get to the beach (i.e. Pacific Beach) the more expensive it will be in July.

10. Re: I need reassurance about the Residence Inn San Diego Central

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2014, 06:17