We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant suggestions please - near La Jolla & Balboa Park

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant suggestions please - near La Jolla & Balboa Park

Hi, my family and I are looking for suggestions for (breakfast and dinner) restaurants in La Jolla (we are staying at La Valencia) and also near Balboa Park. We love all types of food, particularly seafood and Mexican. We will be traveling with a toddler so somewhere with an outdoor option might be nice. Looking forward to your suggestions.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant suggestions please - near La Jolla & Balboa Park

We ate twice at Prado right in Balboa Park. Very nice atmosphere, good food and service. It seemed very busy both times we were there so I would suggest making reservations.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant suggestions please - near La Jolla & Balboa Park

In Balboa Park, the Prado and request the garden. I've been there on Saturdays without reservations and been seated quickly. However, the garden is popular so a reservation is a good idea. The inside is actually very well decorated and there are seats next to the windows (which open), but the garden is better for a young child.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,048 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant suggestions please - near La Jolla & Balboa Park

In addition to the Prado,(where a reservation is necessary even for lunch) there's the Sculpture Court Cafe at the Art Museum which is less formal and still good.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,439 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant suggestions please - near La Jolla & Balboa Park

Breakfast in La Jolla, Harry's Coffee Shop and Brockton Villa. Dinner in La Jolla, Bahia Don Bravo, Su Casa for Mexican and Manhattan of La Jolla and El Pescador for seafood. Bahia Don Bravo and El Pescador are counter serve joints, but have really good food.

Near Balboa Park is Hillcrest and Banker's Hill with a myriad of restaurants. You have Ortega's Mexican Bistro that serves Puerto Nuevo style Mexican food, which means lobster and seafood with other Mexican standards. Bo's Seafood Market & Grill is like Bahia, counter serve with tables, but good seafood.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant suggestions please - near La Jolla & Balboa Park

Is the cafe near the Globe Theater in Balboa Park still open? If I remember correctly, it is just walk up ordering windows with outdoor seating. Maybe sandwichs? But the atmosphere is nice in that area.

Edited: 04 May 2013, 19:54
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant suggestions please - near La Jolla & Balboa Park

Dining options in Balboa Park

www.balboapark.org/in-the-park/Restaurants

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,509 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant suggestions please - near La Jolla & Balboa Park

In La Jolla:

Museum Cafe at Museum of Contemporary Art on Prospect St (10 minute walk from your hotel) is unique and good for breakfast, brunch and lunch and is kid friendly.

http://www.mcasdcafe.com/

The Mission Coffee Cup is closer to your hotel on Wall Street and is very good (great French toast).

For dinner, there is a very small restaurant strip mall off of Torrey Pines Road at Herschel Avenue, but still in La Jolla Village, that has a couple of casual (not fancy) but good restaurants along with some outdoor seating that is kid friendly. Marketplace Grill is excellent and serve healthy Mediterranean cuisine (I love their chicken and shrimp bowls); Rimel's is very good--menu includes seafood; and there is a Mexican place (not fancy) called Porkyland. You could probably walk here in 10 minutes from the hotel......very close to your hotel on Prospect Street are two places for 'Americanized' Mexican food--Alfonso's and Jose's Court.

marketplacegrille.com/MarketplaceGrille-LaJo…

http://www.rimelsrestaurants.com/la-jolla/

http://goporkyland.com/

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant suggestions please - near La Jolla & Balboa Park

scottca and elchevere already gave you some great recommendations.

For Mexican street food (tacos and bowls) in La Jolla, I like Puesto on Wall Street, close to where your hotel is. Nothing fancy, but kid friendly.

Edited: 05 May 2013, 03:40
Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant suggestions please - near La Jolla & Balboa Park

Thank you all so much. I am taking notes. Can't wait for our trip!

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,509 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant suggestions please - near La Jolla & Balboa Park

Not sure how I forgot about Puesto-- maybe too much craft beer last night. I do like that place; could have sworn actor Rob Lowe was in line in front of me last Sunday ( at least 2 others and myself thought so)... Good street tacos.