We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea World/Zoo Question

Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sea World/Zoo Question

We will be in San Diego next week and I am trying to finalize our trip details. We set aside Sunday and Monday for Sea World and the Zoo. We also have Padres tickets for Monday night. My question is which place will probably take us longer to go through. It's myself, my hubby and 2 kids (9 and 7). My kids are more into thrill rides than animals. So I'm thinking Sea World on Sunday plus the Zoo opens earlier so we should do that on game day? Also, should we buy the express bus pass at the zoo and is the Ice Age 4D show worth seeing? Any suggestions are appreciated.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,729 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea World/Zoo Question

Hmm? Just wondering if the kiddos are not really into animals is going to the zoo(with no thrill rides) and Sea World (with a few rides) the best way to spend your time here??

I was just at the zoo today. I really enjoyed watching the families with children who seemed to be fascinated by looking at and interacting with the animals. It would be a shame to go and just be bored by the whole place but everyone has different interests!

We once took our young teen nephews to Sea World and they were finished in 1/2 day while other families can stay all day long sooo it is hard to tell what your group will prefer.

IF you still decide to go to both I'd go to Sea World on the hotter day since there are places there to get wet and being wet and cold is not fun!!

You might consider one of the behind the scenes tours at the zoo because a guide might make it more interesting for you.

Let us know if you'd like some other ideas.

Sorry I forgot that you asked about the 3D movie.

We go to see the animals and so I have never seen the movie.

Edited: 11 May 2013, 00:14
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,110 posts
6,099 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea World/Zoo Question

Both are good places to go to.....

I agree with you that the zoo and San Diego Padres game makes more sense - they are closer together in distance; the zoo is good for a day eactivity, Padres for night......and if you want to have lunch at the zoo consider having a leisurely lunch at their restaurant that day and then ball park fare at the baseball game that night.

If you are into the rides at Sea World, I would definitely spend more time there. Sometimes we go just for the shows and that seems to take us about 5 to 6 hours or so from car to car (i.e. parking lot to park back to the car.) with the added rides (and lines) you can easily spend more time there. If thhttp://seaworldparks.com/seaworld-sandiego/Dine-and-Shop/Dining/Dine-with-Shamue budget allows also consider possibly the lunch with Shamoo (we loved this and good lunch and so fun)

By the way San Diego Zoo is one of the best in the US to go to - so if you like diversity of animals, lots of thigns to see, go there. Locals might get tired of going - we go about every 3 years or so - and each time we have a fun time. You have to like animals.....and watching them. We usually do the tram tour to get a feel for the park - and then go back on foot to explore the animal areas we want to see up close and personal. Either way works there.....if you want to go just by foot, it works too.

Have fun.

Level Contributor
906 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea World/Zoo Question

Definitely give Sea World the full day treatment, it's worth it. There's not a huge number of rides, but there are some good ones (and wear a poncho, especially for Shipwreck Rapids, or prepare to get wet). The thing Sea World does best are the shows. You're going to want to see all of them. And get to the venues early if you want a good seat.

The zoo takes about 5-6 hours for a walk through. Add a couple more if you want to make an educational experience out of it. I did not use the express bus while I was there. My suggestion would be to start with the guided tour by bus (takes about 40 minutes or so) for a quick overview. Then tour by foot the front portion of the zoo. Catch the show at the amphiteatre at 1:00 (takes about 20-30 minutes). Then ride the aerial tram from the front of the zoo to get to the back, then tour the rear area, working yourself back down to the front. Can't tell you anything about the 4D movie, sorry.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea World/Zoo Question

I am also one that thinks SeaWorld is the Full Day option.

The Zoo can easily be done in a 1/2 day to 3/4 day, and then head a few miles south to PETCO Park and the Padres game that night.

5. Re: Sea World/Zoo Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 06:17
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now