We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carlsbad or San Diego "Sea World Area" ??

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
north carolina
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Carlsbad or San Diego "Sea World Area" ??

My dad is taking my nieces (age 13 and 14) to San Diego because they want to try to surf, go to the zoo and Sea World . . . I am leaning towards putting him in a hotel in the Sea World area (La Jolla is out of his price range) but I guess he received an offer from the Carlsbad by the Sea hotel and is interested in that.

My thought was that a San Diego location would be better for what he wants to do, they can see seals in La Jolla, surf anywhere along there, zoo, etc and that there would be lots of restaurant options.

He is NOT a friendly or patient driver at all . . . he lives in a town of 14,000 people and has no patience for traffic, does not necessarily pay attention to signage, does not believe in using his blinker . . .etc . . . soooooo . . . I just dont think he would enjoy being based in Carlsbad, but i dont know . . . with the exception of the zoo and Sea World, wondering what folks think as far as restaurant variety for teenage girls, and other things to do . . . . my guess is that there will be maybe two half days at the beach and they will be over it . . . but just a guess !!

Thanks for any ideas . . .

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,426 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carlsbad or San Diego "Sea World Area" ??

Carlsbad is 40 mins North of San Diego without traffic so given your post, why would you look in that area when you want to do things in Balboa park and the Seaworld , Mission Bay Area

If you provide you nightly hotel budget, the locals can help you better

Edited: 22 May 2013, 18:51
La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,771 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carlsbad or San Diego "Sea World Area" ??

So Cal traffic is challenging for someone who is an impatient and neglectful driver. If your dad is as bad a driver as you say he is, I would recommend a location in San Diego, because the Carlsbad hotel is, as belomiser said, quite far (about 27 miles from Seaworld, 31 miles from the zoo, 21 miles from La Jolla). If your dad rents a car, make sure he gets all the insurance he needs on it.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carlsbad or San Diego "Sea World Area" ??

As someone who grew up in San Diego, and actually went to a private High School in Carlsbad, I would not recommend basing yourself in Carlsbad (Northern San Diego County), when everything, except the Surfing is in the main part of the city of San Diego.

Since you said La Jolla was out of the price range, I presume that the Pacific Beach/Mission Beach area would also be a bit too high, as any place near the ocean is higher than the rest of the city.

I would look at the Old Town State Park area, lots of options, the Old Town Inn is highly rated and a short drive to Mission Bay, Mission Beach and Pacific Beach, and not a bad drive to La Jolla. (I am currently in La Jolla). A bit nicer location would be the Residence Inn Old Town.

You might also want to look into the Liberty Station area, and the Homewood Suites.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d80255-R…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d272662-…

tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g60750-d65643…

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carlsbad or San Diego "Sea World Area" ??

Being that he dosen't like to drive I'd not put them in Carlsbad. Too far to SeaWorld. Most of the places to stay at beaches will be crowded.

When is this trip? If it's during the summer months the fact is that the beaches will be busy and crowded and there will be lots of traffic the closer you are to any beach. What is your budget per nght?

Have a look at hotels on Shelter Island. Humphry's Half Moon Inn, Best Western Island Palms for example. It's more quiet and easy to get to the beach (go early for parking), SeaWorld, etc. Any hotel on Scott Street would put you away from driving in traffic much.

Depending on your budget you might have a look at the Homewood Suites Liberty Station.

Coronado would be a good place to stay where there are restaurants in walking distance to the beach. There are many motels on Orange Avenue that might fit the budget. It's more quiet there (except at rush hours). Have a look at the La Avenida

http://www.laavenidainn.com/

There's also a Best Western Seven Seas on Orange.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carlsbad or San Diego "Sea World Area" ??

IMHO, Coronado is too far away, and the drive will require the confusing one way streets to get onto the Coronado Bay Bridge.

Shelter Island is not a bad option, except for nearby restaurant variety. Both the Old Town area, and Liberty Station have plenty of options within walking distance.

north carolina
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carlsbad or San Diego "Sea World Area" ??

Thanks so much for all the input . . . I appreciate all information !

I dont want to tell him NOT to stay in Carlsbad and then for him to not like where i DO end up making a reservation for him at . . . of course its always a risk, but if it were me I think the Sea World, Shelter Island area would be preferable to Carlsbad, but didnt know what it had to offer really for him with the girls (for example when we are going back to England this time husband and i are staying in a small village, not london . . . two teenage girls im sure would prefer london !) . . . . . I had not looked at Old Town though, will do that . . .

Budget is trying to stay around $ 150 per night . . . i have booked them in the Comfort Inn and Suites Zoo and Sea World area because it looks like fairly easy travel from the airport to places he needs to go, but the reservation can be cancelled. Prices on a lot of hotels have dropped a little this week so will continue to monitor that in some of the more desirable areas.

I had looked at Humprys and the Best Western as well, but was a little concerned about whether or not there were many restaurant and shopping options that would be within walking distance ?? THANK YOU again . . .

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carlsbad or San Diego "Sea World Area" ??

I have stayed at all Comfort/Quality Inns in the Hotel Circle/Mission Valley area, and like them all (not sure which one you booked), but the drawback is nothing much around the location within walking distance. You would need to drive to get to a large selection of Restaurants and other things.

north carolina
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carlsbad or San Diego "Sea World Area" ??

Oops . .sorry, didnt respond to the question of "when" . . June 15 - 20 . thanks !

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carlsbad or San Diego "Sea World Area" ??

f you want for them to be able to walk to anything the Comfort Inn in Mission Valley - Hotel Circle are not within walking distance to anything.

Shelter Is (Humphrys especially) has a dozen restaurants or more within 5 - 20 min walk. No shopping though.

Liberty Station has restaurants / fast food and a handfull of shops spread out.

Old Town has restaurants and lots of touristy shops which the girls would probably love! Lot's of cheaper shopping. Also some boutique nicer shops.

There are not a lot of confusing one-way streets on Coronado. Only two. One entering and one exiting. The rest of the streets are two-way. Coronado is easy to navigate. I also disagree that it's too far. Lot of cute shops in the quaint village - similar to Carlsbad. However, the girls would probably like shopping in Old Town and staying there means having a place to park and not having to look for a parking place.

Pauma Valley, CA
Level Contributor
405 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carlsbad or San Diego "Sea World Area" ??

Liberty Station area has several restaurants that may appeal to young teenagers, Corvette Diner, Oggi's, Slaters 50/50, Sammy's Woodfired Pizza, Panera, and Smashburger. So the Marriott or the Homewood Suites would work well also.

http://libertystation.com/maps