We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from San Diego to Las Vegas

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
131 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from San Diego to Las Vegas

Hi,

I've read that this drive takes about 5-5.5 hours and is quite boring. However my husband is keen on it and so we are planning to go to Vegas by road.

Although the route seems simple through the desert, I just had one query - Does it involve driving through hills as well? He has a fear of heights and doesn't enjoy driving in hilly areas. As long as it's through plains and desert, we should be fine (except super hot in the August heat!)

TIA

Special Offer
Skip the Line: USS Midway Museum
379 reviews
from US$18.00*
US$23.00
San Diego Zoo
160 reviews
from US$54.00*
San Diego Harbor Dinner Cruise
98 reviews
from US$89.82*
San Diego Tour: Hop-on Hop-off Trolley
240 reviews
from US$39.95*
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from San Diego to Las Vegas

It's a major interstate route and youll be driving through the desert. Road goes up and down but no curves of any significance. No heights. Avoid driving this stretch on a friday afternoon.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from San Diego to Las Vegas

Hello, we have done this trip in the past and it was wonderful. We lived in NZ and enjoyed this road trip immensely. No heights - just flat terrain and great roads.

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
131 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from San Diego to Las Vegas

We'll be driving on a Wednesday. Hopefully we should be able to start by 9:30-10 in the morning.

Thanks, the route seems comfortable.

Sydney
Level Contributor
39 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from San Diego to Las Vegas

WE drove it in May, two cars 3Adults & 3 children in each car, we drove to palm Springs first stay overnight there then drove to Las Vegas which took about 4& half hrs went on a Sunday traffic okay.

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
131 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from San Diego to Las Vegas

I'd also like to know approximately how much would a car rental+fuel cost if we take a car from Hertz or Avis? We'll probably have to drop it off at the Vegas airport, right?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from San Diego to Las Vegas

Check with the major companies. Depends on what kind of car your you want to rent. Maybe try a broker like carhire3000 Using a broker from outside the USA you can avoid drop off charges.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,168 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from San Diego to Las Vegas

Hmmm, just flat? No heights? Have you all forgotten the Cajon Summit? From sea level in San Diego you climb to over 4,000 feet (1,200m) and there are some rather noticeable drop offs.

Yes I-15 is a major freeway and if you stay to the left lanes you might not feel the height as much, but the drive is not flat and you do have a big climb to make to get to the high desert that Las Vegas sits in. Here is an example from Google Street Views.

http://goo.gl/maps/9kG7S

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from San Diego to Las Vegas

Yeah, almost Pikes Peak -lol-

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive from San Diego to Las Vegas

Hi nst4

To answer your question about costs, gas right now in San Diego is running between $3.85 to $4.05 per gallon in most places. If you have a car that gets about 25 miles per gallon, your trip will cost around $50 in gas.

Zed

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,168 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive from San Diego to Las Vegas

>>>Yeah, almost Pikes Peak -lol-<<<

Not Pike's Peak, but I HATE driving down the Cajon Grade. I don't mind it climbing it, but with all the trucks, the guardrails, the drops, yes.... not a fan coming back from Vegas. I do think the OP needs to know it isn't all flat and no heights. It is not a plain :)