We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aquatica

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Aquatica

I see on another website - theme park review - that soak city is now aquatica and from the pictures it looks quite good. Has anyone been since the take over and renovations and is September warm enough for a visit? We don't have kids but enjoy water parks. We don't have a car in San Diego and I haven't looked at where it actually is located either.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aquatica

I was lucky enough to attend the opening events, and spent a bit of time riding the rides, before my mother slipped and fell and dislocated her shoulder, which caused my wife and I to go into panic mode when we got the phone call... Love the park. SeaWorld spent about $15 buying the former park and land, and then about $15 million upgrading the park. They didn't add any rides, just the infrastructure, including new kitchens, and places for flamingos and fresh water turtles.

Here are some photos I took of the park on opening day.

http://tinyurl.com/kxvcnwa

That said, September, on average is usally warm.

Now the bad news, there is no good public transit to the park, and so far SeaWorld has not admitted they will start a shuttle service from the main park in Mission Bay to Chula Vista, where Aquatica is located. IMHO, they are waiting to see if they need to, and hopefully will in the future. I was about to contact SeaWorld for another reason, and I will ask, but since it is an official spokesperson, but not get the most direct answer.

Here is the official web site link, that has a map.

seaworldparks.com/en/aquatica-sandiego/

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aquatica

Oops, typo... "but not get the most direct answer."

Should be Might not get the most direct answer.

Have to laugh, Aquatica shares a parking lot with the 20,000 seat Sleep Train Amphitheater, where they had a sold out show on Monday the 3rd. a few hours earlier, there was a construction issue on the main freeway (805) that gets you to the area. A worker broke an 8 inch gas main, which closed down the entire freeway for hours.... They had to delay the start of the concert, and traffic was awful!

Just wrote the e-mail to the SeaWorld PR person, so hopefully she will get back with the answer to public/mass transit.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aquatica

Hi,

Darkbeer is correct in that the San Diego Mass Transit System (SDMTS) won't get you directly to the park, but it can get you to within about two miles / four kilometers of it.

Take the San Diego Trolley (light rail) Blue Line to the Palomar Street station. There are about 6 parking spaces reserved for taxis in the commuter parking lot, and you could take a cab from the station to the Park for a relatively small fare. (I’m not sure if you’ll find cabs waiting at the park when you’re ready to leave. You can either tell your first cab driver to come back at a certain time, or call from the park when you’re done.)

If you’re more ambitious, you could catch the 704 bus from the trolley station to the intersection of Main & Brandywine. From there, it's about a 2.25 mile / 3.7 km walk to the park.

However, know that the sidewalk besides the street ends about a mile into it, and the remainder would have to be done walking on the shoulder of the road at your own risk.

transit.511sd.com/SDMTSRoutePDFs/704.pdf

http://goo.gl/maps/2OP3U

Zed

P.S. Yes, Darkbeer, I got caught up in that mess on the 805 Monday trying to get home from Cabrillo. What a nightmare.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aquatica

Interesting as I was at the show on Monday and I didn't think the start was delayed. We didn't head in until about 8pm since we were tailgating. I also had no issue getting to the venue (5fwy to 54east to 805 south), perhaps I missed the area where the 805 was shutdown.

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aquatica

Thank you for the replies! Great info.

So would It cost much to get a cab? I thought it might be nice to spend an afternoon there. As we aren't doing any other waterparks this trip to the USA, I might even get a cabana!

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aquatica

Hi...

You can use this website to find estimated taxi fares:

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=SD&from=Palomar+St+Trolley+Station%2C+Chula+Vista%2C+CA&to=Entertainment+Circle%2C+Chula+Vista%2C+CA

It appears the fare would be about $23 each way from the trolley station to the park.

Zed

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aquatica

Hmmmm, might be a tad too expensive I think for a half a day out. Thankyou.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aquatica

I have someone at SeaWorld looking into it, and she will get back to me. At one time, they were talking about a shuttle bus from SeaWorld to Aquatica, but it might not start for a couple of weeks. As soon as I know, I will get back to you.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aquatica

A couple of comments about the Gas Main issue on Monday, the U-T (local paper) reported the concert was delayed until 7:30 PM and had two opening acts, so no big issue for those only interested in the main act.

As for the closure, it was around 2:30 PM when the main was broken, and the freeway reopened around 6 PM, so those running late didn't get much of an impact.

utsandiego.com/news/…

Sorry Zed, I guess you got to enjoy the groups big hit... "I will wait" ;)

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aquatica

Awesome, thanks Darkbeer :)