We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clueless!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Clueless!

Hi All,

My partner and I will be in San Diego for 5 nights from the 16th of Sept to the 21st as part of a huge roadtrip across the states,

Im a little bit overwhelmed with where to stay, I know we want to be close to the Gaslamp Quarter, we wont have a car for 4 of the 5 days so we want to be able to walk/public transport it to most places ie the zoo etc.

I was looking initially at the Wyndham Bayside as the rates were super cheap, but alas these deals have been snapped up.. so I'm not sure where to look at now! :(

Our budget is not extremely tight we are looking for somewhere comfortable seeing as we will be there for a few days, ideally under $1000!

Ive got a few places here suggestions welcome!

Palomar - 5 nights King bed $830

Gaslamp Plaza Suites - Mini suite $903

Andaz - King room - $858

Thanks for your help!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,576 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Clueless!

I dont know much about Gaslamp Plaza Suites but you cant go wrong with either Andaz or Palomar which are both very good choices.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clueless!

Hi,

You may want to check La Pensione Hotel in Little Italy. I plugged your dates in and the rate available was $120 per night.

La Pensione is a boutique hotel within a few minutes walk of a San Diego Trolley station (the trolley is our light rail system, not to be confused with the Old Town Trolley, a hop-on, hop-off tour bus service), and is in a great neighborhood with tons of restaurants and a great farmers market on Saturday morning.

http://www.lapensionehotel.com/

Here's the trolley system map to show you the routes:

http://www.sdmts.com/Trolley/Trolley.asp

(You could also turn on the "Transit" option on a Google Map and the routes will be displayed there so you can compare where they are in relation to your hotel options.)

Enjoy your visit.

Zed

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clueless!

Be sure to read the hotel reviews. The rooms at La Pensione are very small and it can be noisy. It depends on what's important to you.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clueless!

Those hotels are all very close to each other so location is not an issue. So it really boils down to what you like about each, what amenities they offer that you want, and I'd read reviews of TA & yelp.com. I don't look at the ratings I read the reviews. And if there are complaints I weigh whether or not it's something that would bother me or if it's something blown out of proportion, etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clueless!

Thank you all for help!

Zed - Thanks! That looks like a lovely hotel and I would be keen but the only room they have left looks super tiny! I love the look of the hotel though and the location looks really nice.

I think I will try and look around that area too if we can get a better deal.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clueless!

The Best Western Plus Bayside Inn is one that's also frequently recommended here:

…bestwestern.com/bestwestern/…

Zed

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clueless!

The 3 hotels on your short list(or at least the Andaz and the Palomar) will probably feel more luxurious than what you could get at La Pensione or the Best Western Bayside.

You'll have to let us know if you are willing to sacrifice posh/luxury for a typical hotel room to save money.

There are certainly less expensive hotels but you may want to spend a little more to have that nicer feeling!

Edited: 13 June 2013, 00:06
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,576 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Clueless!

Its seems the 3 hotels you have asked about are within your budget, so Im not sure why one poster is suggesting a couple that are not nearly as nice?

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clueless!

Goodbeer,

Just because you have a $1,000 budget doesn't mean you have to max it out. :-)

Given that the OP was upset that they lost the "super cheap" rates at the Wyndam, I thought I'd offer up a couple of suggestions that could save them $200-$250 off their budget. They could apply those savings toward a dinner cruise, admission to the zoo or SeaWorld or any of the other attractions in town.

The vast majority of people come to San Diego to experience the city, not a hotel room. The hotels I recommended may not be as posh as the three on the OP's list, but they're perfectly acceptable to thousands of tourists each year.

I hope that answers your question.

Zed

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,994 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clueless!

Curious how you came up with these three?

Palomar & Andaz are great, both are very nice for the younger set.

Hotels that are usually bargains in Downtown that are nice are the Hotel Bristol, The Sofia Hotel and the Horton Grand.