We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from La Jolla to Petco Park

Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Train from La Jolla to Petco Park

Staying in La Jolla for 3 days of golf Aug 16-18 but would like to attend a Padres game either Friday or Saturday night vs my pathetic NY Mets. Bestt for me would be to drive to an MTS Trolley stop, park and take the Trolley to Petco. I don't mind paying for parking, my gola here is to avoid pre and post game traffic downtown. From La Jolla, which is the most convenient and efficient station to Park and Ride the Trolley?? Or is there a bteer way I am not exploring. Thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,829 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from La Jolla to Petco Park

Since you will be driving anyway, I would just drive to downtown and park away from the stadium and walk a few blocks. Our downtown traffic is not bad ( I live downtown). It will be much easier and quicker than transferring to a Trolley.

There are plenty of parking lots that are easy to get to right off of the freeway and will put you within about a 10 minute walk to the stadium.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from La Jolla to Petco Park

Hi,

If you do choose to use the trolley, I would suggest going to either the Old Town Transit Station (412 free parking spaces) or the Morena / Linda Vista station (199 free spaces) to take the Green Line to Gaslamp Quarter station (PETCO Park).

http://www.sdmts.com/MTS/MTStoPETCO.asp

www.sdmts.com/Trolley/TrolleyStationInfo.asp

Zed

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from La Jolla to Petco Park

I agree with the Trolley, if the Old Town Transit lot is full, there is nearby street and state park parking.

The Fashion Valley Shopping Mall has a Green Line station, and basically unlimited parking, as there is no clear way to tell which specific parking spaces are for Transit parking, and which are for shopping, so in reality, no enforcement if you park in the multi-story parking structure.

I prefer the Trolley, you can relax, and even have a beer or two for the first part of the game, and should be sober enough to drive when you get back to your car.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,373 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from La Jolla to Petco Park

Downtown & the Gaslamp are a lot of fun, pre & post games. I'd drive down and park in one of the convenient lots (like the one across from the Omni Hotel) and chill in the area a bit after the game and let traffic die down and have some fun too,

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,633 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from La Jolla to Petco Park

There really isn't that much traffic if you decide to drive downtown (nothing remotely close to Manhattan or Queens) though if you are planning on having a couple of beers the park to the trolley and then back option is not a bad idea either. The Old Town parking/Trolley option would also be considerably cheaper than driving and parking downtown.

Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from La Jolla to Petco Park

Thanks Folks!!! Got what I need. Really apppreciate the input. Lets Go Mets -:)

7. Re: Train from La Jolla to Petco Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2014, 07:18