We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego Hotel in a good area with access to TJ

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
354 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego Hotel in a good area with access to TJ

Hello all:

I am coming to San Diego or 2.5 days next month, one whole day I which will be spent in TJ on business. I would like a hotel that is somewhat near the border but also in a nice, somewhat happening area of San Diego. I will have a car. Doesn't need to be the most amazing area, just don't want to stay in he middle of nowhere or ghetto.

Thanks in advance.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego Hotel in a good area with access to TJ

Hi - Downtown San Diego is approx 15 - 20 min to the Border.

http://goo.gl/maps/vgkjB

You can stay in Downtown, Little Italy or Old Town whichever appeals to you most and / or within your budget. All are within that same approx drive time and all are good neighborhoods for restaurants, etc. w/o having to drive. Note that Downtown will likely have the highest charge for parking your car. Whereas Little Italy and Old Downtown charges less.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,817 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego Hotel in a good area with access to TJ

Agree with above.

Stay Downtown and you can be at the border in 15 minutes.

With that said, If you decide to stay one night on the other side of the border, I stayed at the TJ Marriott recently and it was perfectly fine. A typical Marriott by looks, and their service was fantastic.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego Hotel in a good area with access to TJ

Hi,

You may want to confirm with your car rental company whether or not you can drive into Tijuana; most won't allow it. If they do, you'll have to purchase insurance for driving in Mexico before crossing the border.

You can easily get to the border crossing on the San Diego Trolley, our light rail transit system. Take the Blue Line from downtown to the San Ysidro stop and walk across the border (don't forget your passport).

If you stayed in Little Italy or Old Town as suggested above, you'd take the Green Line to the Blue Line at the 12th & Imperial Transit Center.

http://www.sdmts.com/Trolley/Trolley.asp

Enjoy your trip.

Zed

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,817 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego Hotel in a good area with access to TJ

Since you have a car, if you arent driving across, Its very easy to drive to the border and park on the US side, it will be much quicker than the trolley.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
354 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego Hotel in a good area with access to TJ

Thanks for all the recommendations. I have a car, but it is for use in San Diego. I plan on walking across the border and have no intentions of driving in TJ.

Any recommendations as to what to what and where to spend my time in TJ? Looking for good drinking, food and times in MX. I understand SD has a lot to offer but really want to spend a day in Mexico

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,836 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego Hotel in a good area with access to TJ

Do you know exactly where your business meeting is? When is it, morning or afternoon? Which meals (B, L or D) are you looking to experience.

7. Re: San Diego Hotel in a good area with access to TJ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 06:21