We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in SoCal itinerary

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
9 posts
Save Topic
4 days in SoCal itinerary

My girlfriend and I have a trip down to SoCal, from sunday to thursday. Thursdays all set were going to TJ for the day but have a few days not filled up.

We leave san francisco at around 7-8 in the morning to LA and will be driving down through either the 5 or 101. Was originally planning on taking highway 1 but decided against due to the reviews here.

Only thing we have planned for sunday is going to one of the shows at the Griffith Observatory, but we will have a few hours before we need to be up there around 7. Anything to check out in that vicinity for a few hours in the day?

The next morning we check out from our hotel and we check in to our hotel in san diego. We have a padres game planned for that night but nothing to do during the day. Planning on maybe having a few drinks after the game so would love recommendations for bars/lounges in the area.

We have tickets to check out the zoo, but are open to go either tuesday or wednesday, which leaves one complete day open. and normally how long does a trip to the zoo take? im assuming one whole day?

Thursday we leave to TJ which is planned already.

Any help would greatly be appreciated, we are into anything, nothing is off limits.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in SoCal itinerary

Hi Victor - Welcome to San Diego!

There's a lot to do in SD. Some things might be within walking distance or a short bus or trolley ride from your hotel depending on where you are staying. That way you don't have to deal with finding parking.

So, where are you staying?

Also, I'm sure you know that your rental car (if it is a rental) will likely not let you take it over the border. So you're probably walking or taking a tour.

Downtown SD has the USS Midway as well as the Maritiem Museum and the Bay and Marina. There's also Balboa Park. On a clear day Cabrillo National Monument is fantastic.

Before the Padres game you'll find so many restaurant / bar choices close to the stadium. All will be busy and bustling.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in SoCal itinerary

I would drive down the coastal route from the Hollywood area to San DIego, maybe take the I-5 to the 55 south, and start the Coastal Highway drive in Newport Beach. That should take most of the day

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor…

San Francisco...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in SoCal itinerary

thanks for the response. we will be staying at lafayette hotel.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,496 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in SoCal itinerary

I've got to ask, why that hotel?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in SoCal itinerary

Since you express a desire to have a few drinks after the game I would just bite the bullet and take a taxi back to your hotel. If you decide to take the bus here's some info

http://goo.gl/maps/KTnMU

I know the La Fayette is known for their pool parties but the overall reviews of the hotel are pretty ... well, weak.

www.yelp.com/biz/lafayette-hotel-san-diego

And it's in a location that if you want to go out at night to Downtown where the Gaslamp is or Little Italy you need to take into account transportation if you plan on drinking.

San Francisco...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in SoCal itinerary

My girlfriend picked and paid for the hotel so it was out of my hand, and upon reading those reviews i would definitely picked elsewhere. But seeing as i don't want to spend all day in the hotel, besides showering and sleeping it wont be a big issue for me.

Will def be taking a taxi back to the hotel, which area is best for bars/lounges. No clubs because we will be coming from the game so our dress will be casual, but also don't want a sleazy bar with 6 people in it.

Any day cruises that are worth checking out?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in SoCal itinerary

I would post your LA Questions in the LA forum for responses to that question. But since you say you'll only have a few hours before the observatory, maybe just check out the shops and restaurants on Vermont Ave, between Franklin Ave and Sunset. Where are you staying in LA?

Edited: 26 July 2013, 20:37
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in SoCal itinerary

As I said there are so many restaurants and bars close to the stadium. You won't have to look for them. You'll be surrounded by people in similar dress looking for a place to have a drink. Take your pick of places

http://goo.gl/maps/hwGq9

San Diego...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in SoCal itinerary

Before the Padres Game for drinks: Bubs (rowdy Sports bar), Nieghborhood (craft beer with a speakeasy within it), Cafe Cloe (Wine and French Food), Seersucker (Cocktails and great food), Craft and Commerice (Cocktails). Tons of options. If you are into craft beer hit 30th street (Toronado, Tiger Tiger, Ritual Tavern, Hamiltons, etc.).

Balboa Park is worth a full day including the zoo. Coronado has a great beach but can be touristy. I'd reccomend sriving out to Cabrillo Monument on a clear day and stopping at Point Loma seafoods for lunch.

Harbor cruises go out from Harbor Drive, I've never taken one so can't reccomend.

Edited: 26 July 2013, 21:51
San Francisco...
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days in SoCal itinerary

in LA we are staying at the marriot, so relatively close to the observatory.

Any recommendations on good chinese food and mexican food to eat in san deigo?

a good sandwich spot to check out?

and whats a good beach thats not super crowded