We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time in morning to drive to Aquatica and to get parking

California
Level Contributor
203 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best time in morning to drive to Aquatica and to get parking

In two days we will be back in San Diego (yea!), this time in Liberty Station. This will be our first time going to the new Aquatica, which opens at 10:00 am. I don't want to waste a lot of time just sitting in rush hour traffic. Any suggestions on what time we should leave to miss the bulk of your rush hour? I have never driven south to Chula Vista, so I am not familiar with the route and amount of traffic.

My son also wants to go to a beach. We are spoiled because we usually stay on Coronado and thus don't have to be concerned with beach parking. Any suggestions on how early we should get to any of the nearby beaches so as to avoid parking headaches? Given the parking issues, I think we should do our beach time in the morning before spending the rest of the day at SeaWorld, where we will be the bulk of our stay.

Thanks very much for any guidance!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time in morning to drive to Aquatica and to get parking

Hi AquaMom - I think you'll find Liberty Station a good base location. The closest beach is Ocean Beach and from there about a few mins. The next up is Mission Beach and then Pacific Beach. Probably 15 min - 20 min.

It's about 15 - 20 mins to the beach on Coronado.

As far as getting to Aquatica if you're there when they open at 10:00 you shouldn't have any traffic. It's a pretty straightforward drive. It should only be about a half hour drive so leaving at 9:30 (or 9:15) you'll have missed rush hour traffic.

http://goo.gl/maps/wd9UQ

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time in morning to drive to Aquatica and to get parking

Oh, as far as the beach - I would plan on being there around 9:00. It won't be as crowded during the week but it's still summer with a lot of people on vacation. So earlier is better. Usually if you go a few blocks back from the beaches you can find parking in the residential areas.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time in morning to drive to Aquatica and to get parking

Hi,

As elizzie mentioned, traffic shouldn't be much of a problem between 9 AM and 10 AM. More traffic heads north to San Diego from South Bay than goes south, so you'll be going opposite the major traffic.

This suggestion may be too much water for one day, but I'll throw it out there anyway...

After Aquatica, you may want to consider stopping at Silver Strand State Beach on your way back. There's a $10 or so admission charge and plenty of parking. It's a wide open beach with not much else there (a few buildings to change/shower in, and that's about it). That, or just continue back up to Coronado.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=654

Again, just an idea... Enjoy your visit.

Zed

California
Level Contributor
203 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time in morning to drive to Aquatica and to get parking

Thank you both very much for your help!!! Since we live in a land-locked state, we can never get too much water time! I will check out the Silver Strand Beach - I never heard of it.

My friend just returned from Del Mar-she said she heard Mission Beach, Ocean Beach, and Pacific Beach may not be safe, but we will be at whatever beaches during the day, so I'm hoping safety isn't a big concern.

I also hope the bathrooms aren't as gross as those we encountered on a Saturday afternoon last month at Huntington Beach-they were probably the most disgusting we have ever seen. Some parents with toddlers were utterly horrified. There was a huge soccer tournament going on, and I would have thought the city would have bothered to ensure the public facilities were maintained. They left a bad memory of HB.

Thanks again!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time in morning to drive to Aquatica and to get parking

Please don't worry about safety in MB, OB or PB. My Mother in her 80's used to get her hair done in downtown OB. My nephews grew up there. If there is a problem, anywhere for that matter, it's usually late night where heavy amounts of alcohol or drugs are involved. It's not likely that you or I would be out at any of those places in the wee hours.

Yuck - that's too bad about HB. My first apt was there when I was 19.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,592 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time in morning to drive to Aquatica and to get parking

Safety is not a big concern, in fact San Diego is statistically one of the safest large cities in the US #4 I think? OB is a little gritty but safe, if you are from CO think some of the same types that hang out on Pearl St in Boulder.

I'd choose the main beach at Coronado over Silver Strand.

7. Re: Best time in morning to drive to Aquatica and to get parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 06:19