We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Jolla Questions

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
405 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
La Jolla Questions

La Jolla Questions

Aug 04, 2013, 6:51 PM

We'll be in San Diego for the first time later this month. We'd like to see the seals at the Children's Pool and hopefully the tide pools at low tide. I have a few questions...

1) Is La Jolla easily walkable on our own if we arrive by bus or taxi? (We won't have a car.)

2) Would we be better off on our own spending an entire day or on a tour where we'd have 2-3 hours in La Jolla?

3) Does the tide have to be at the very lowest to see the little creatures in the tide pools? I've been checking this site: gocalifornia.about.com/gi/o.htm…

4) Is Shell Beach the best place to explore the tide pools?

5) We're staying at Manchester Grand Hyatt. If we go on our own, which would be better, public transportation or a taxi?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,285 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Jolla Questions

Who is in your travel group(adults ,children?)

I think that might make a difference.

There are other places with tidepools but none are really easy to reach without a car.

In general when you see the time listed for low tide you can explore tide pools an hour or so on either side of the low tide time.

La Jolla is an hour by bus from downtown.

I think that taking this tour would be much more interesting and comfortable then trying to do it by bus.

http://tourguidetim.com/la-jolla-tours/

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
405 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Jolla Questions

That's the tour we're considering. We are two adults and a nine-year-old daughter (who loves sea creatures, hence the interest in the tide pools). If we take the Tim tour we'd have a maximum of 2 hours at the beach - not sure if it would we'd be able to do the tide pools and seal area on foot within that time or not.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,285 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Jolla Questions

2 hours would be plenty of time to see seals and tide pools!

The areas are very close together.

If I were you I'd e-mail Tim and tell him you are really interested in low tide and poking around in the tide pools and see what he says. I think that your daughter would love to have her own camera to take pix which would make the day even more memorable.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Jolla Questions

Hi,

Here's a link to the 2013 tide tables at Scripps Pier to show you when low tide is:

nps.gov/cabr/…Divebums_Tide_Calendar_2013.pdf

That's taken from the Cabrillo National Monument website. There, the tide has to be +0.7 feet or less for the tide pools at Cabrillo to be exposed. I'm not sure what the level is for the tide pools to be exposed at La Jolla.

You'll note that in the summer time, most of the lower tides occur in the middle of the night, which makes hunting for sea critters more challenging. Still, you can use the chart as a planning aid.

Enjoy your visit.

Zed

5. Re: La Jolla Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 06:19