We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in San Diego

Manukau City...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in San Diego

My wife and I are doing a wee tour of the US and have booked rooms everywhere else but not in San Diago. We are staying in San Diago for two nights on the 26th & 27th of December this year, We have a rental car, and want to go to Tijuana and Sea World etc but would like to be down town i guess, close to the harbour if possible. Would be good if our room had restaurants and shops near by for us to walk to.

But as i have never stayed in San Diago before i am asking advice as there are too many areas to stay.

we are both 27 so nightclubs etc don't bother us

Thanks in advance

Another Side Of San Diego Tours
City Tours, Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Adventures in San Diego
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours
GoCar Tours San Diego
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
San Diego Bay Adventures
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Sightseeing Tours, Waterskiing & Jetskiing
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in San Diego

HI Michael,

Welcome to San Diego.

It would be helpful to know your per night budget in USD, so that we can recommend hotels for you.

Given your desires, I'd recommend staying in Downtown, the Gaslamp District, or Little Italy. All have lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance, plus each is well-connected to public transit (if you want to leave your car parked).

One of the things that will be a "must-see" in my opinion, is the Hotel del Coronado. At Christmas it's decorated very nicely and even has an ice skating rink next to the beach.

As far as going to Tijuana is concerned, your car rental company won't permit your car to be driven into Mexico, so you'll either have to drive to the U.S. side of the border, park your car, and walk across or take the San Diego Trolley (light rail) Blue Line to San Ysidro and walk across the border from there.

Honestly, with such little time in San Diego, I don't know that I would spend time going to Tijuana. Getting into Mexico is easy; returning to the U.S. can take several hours at the border crossing (even walking). You could be doing something better with those holiday hours than standing in a queue.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in San Diego

Hi Michael!

I agree that staying downtown is probably the best option. There are a lot of hotels to chose from and many restaurants, nightclubs and rooftop pool bars. There will be an ice skating rink downtown. Even if you don't skate it's a festive environment. And the Hotel del Coronado is decorated beautifully at Christmas and it's neat with the ice skating rink on the beach. You should also visit Pacific Beach for a real sense of a So Cal beach and boardwalk.

Frankly, with only 2 days here I think it's a waste of your time to go to Tijuana. It's time consuming and it'll take away from everything there is to do here. As said the majority of rental car companies won't let you take your car across the border. If you park on the US side and walk it's easy but coming back it can take a couple of hrs waiting in line. There used to be several tour companies that went but when the violence got bad they stopped and now there are only a couple. The reviews I've read haven't been good. Especially when the tour company says that the tour will have you back in the US at a certain time. Like 5:00. But doesn't get back until 7:00 or 8:00 and people are upset because they missed their dinner reservation or show they booked, etc.

If you do decide to go make sure you have a plan on where to go and where to eat. Isn't advised to go there on your own and just wander around without a goal.

Pauma Valley, CA
Level Contributor
405 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in San Diego

Skip Tijuana. Enjoy San Diego, not worth the trouble to walk across the border.

4. Re: Where to stay in San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 05:17