We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in San Diego

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Noida, India
Level Contributor
109 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in San Diego

I and my wife (in 20s) will be starting from Anaheim at around 9:30 am for San Diego. We'll be having a car. We'll be staying near Loma Square/Rosecrans Street (I guess quite near to old town). We'll be staying full day and have to leave for Los Angeles by 1:00 pm to catch flight.

I could find below places to visit. Kindly guide me in which order I should visit these places (considering I'll be coming from Anaheim and going back to LA next day afternoon). I've marked some places as must do, which I would definitely like to visit. For other places would need your recommendations.

1. La Jolla Cove - must do

2. Mt. Soledad

3. Mission Beach

4. Pacific Beach

5. Coronado - View from hotel Del Coronado - must do

6. Coronado - View of San Diego from Pier near Peohe's restaurant

7. Gaslamp quarters - must do

8. Old town - must do

Can I visit old town on 2nd day i.e. in morning between 9:00 to 1:00 pm or is it worth visiting in evening only. Also I can skip some of the beaches above.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in San Diego

on your way down from Anaheim, stop in La Jolla...then I'd plan on going out to Coronado for the later part of the afternoon. The Gaslamp area is best done at night. You don't say where you are staying but hopefully with such a short visit and long "to do list", you are staying in one of the areas you want to see. Old town & Pacific/Mission Beach could be done on the second day.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,555 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in San Diego

You can either visit La Jolla on your way south to San Diego or on your way back to LAX to catch your flight.

Go to Old Town during the daytime.

Go to the gaslamp in the evening.

Coronado can be either day or evening depending on what you get done and your energy level.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in San Diego

Hi,

What time is your flight out of LAX on the second day? I ask because, as you will see on your trip down, traffic in LA can be quite fickle and turn from nice to nasty in a matter of minutes. I once spent 2 hours trying to drive 40 miles from Anaheim to Santa Monica on a Saturday afternoon.

If you're planning on leaving San Diego at 1 PM to be at LAX by 3 PM for a 4 PM flight, then I'd say plan again, especially on a weekday.

On paper, it's about 120 miles / 2 hours from downtown San Diego to LAX. One accident between here and LAX and you could be in for a 1-2 hour delay on top of the 2 hour trip and you would miss your flight.

I like to be at the airport, car returned and in the terminal, about 2 hours before my scheduled departure, even for domestic flights. So if I had a 4 PM flight and planned to be at LAX at 2 PM, I would leave San Diego no later than 10 AM to account for potential traffic delays.

If traffic is perfect and you get there at noon, grab one last lunch at a beachside restaurant before heading off to the airport.

Zed

Noida, India
Level Contributor
109 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in San Diego

Hi Zed, my (domestic) flight from LAX is at 6:00 pm. So I planned to leave San Diego by 1:00 pm to safely reach LAX airport by 4:30 after returning rental car. Hope taking this much buffer time should be fine, otherwise I could prepone this as well.

Thanks for your reply.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in San Diego

leaving by 1:00 should be good.

Noida, India
Level Contributor
109 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day in San Diego

Hi lttt, I've mentioned that we'll be staying near Loma Square/Rosecrans Street (I guess quite near to old town). So I believe I can keep Old Town for second day between 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.

What is there in Pacific/Mission Beach? If there are just beaches with nothing in special, then I can plan to not visit these at all. Kindly advise.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day in San Diego

Hi,

Mission Beach / Pacific Beach has a 3 mile long boardwalk (technically a concrete sidewalk) with lots of shops, bars, and restaurants along it. You'll definitely get a surfer / beach vibe as you'll see a lot of people surfing, roller blading, bike riding and just enjoying the beach.

To contrast, the Coronado Beach has only one commercial establishment on the beach--the Hotel del Coronado. That's it. No boardwalk, shops, restaurants, vendors, etc. right on the beach (they're a couple of blocks inland on Orange Ave.)

So without knowing what makes a beach "special" in your view, I hope that helps.

Here's a guide to the San Diego beaches:

www.sandiego.org/what-to-do/beaches.aspx

Zed

8. Re: One Day in San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 06:20