We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car - Don't User Hertz!

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northwest
Level Contributor
3 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car - Don't User Hertz!

Do not rent from Hertz located at the San Diego airport. They totally remodeled, but the customer service is little to none. They tried to double our fee when we asked for a bit larger vehicle. Instead of giving us options the next step up, they jumped up to the most expensive! The man assisting us went to help others too. They did not bring a car up to the door for us to load our luggage as they did last year. They just pointed us in the direction of our car, handed us the toddle car seat and offered no assistance at all! The car brakes squeeled the entire week, meaning they need new brake pads or more! The driver of their shuttle was friendly, beyond that it was a horrible experience.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car - Don't User Hertz!

So your first post, you want to slam Hertz?

Welcome to the forum.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car - Don't User Hertz!

Actually we rented with Hertz in San Diego and had no problems.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,862 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car - Don't User Hertz!

Hertz is generally considered the #1 Rental Car Company in the World for a reason. I use Hertz often, rarely with any problems. Im a Gold Member and am able to go straight to the car with out stopping to talk to anyone other than the guard at the exit gate.

Can issues come up? Absolutely, but in all of my travels both business and personal, Hertz (and Avis, next) are head and shoulders above al of the others.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car - Don't User Hertz!

Reading your post just shows one issue that came up....the squeaky brakes. I'm sure if you stopped at one of their satellite offices it would have been looked at.

Northwest
Level Contributor
3 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car - Don't User Hertz!

I am just telling it like it was. The year previous was a pisitive experience and this year was not.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car - Don't User Hertz!

It is *very* unusual for rental car employees to "bring the car around" or "help you" load your car. It's never happened to me and I traveled 25 weeks a year for almost 10 years. So rather than coming here last year and praising Hertz for their awesome service you are here this year to complain. ~sigh~

I agree with Dr. Z ... the only thing you have to complain about is the brakes. But you did nothing during your visit to remedy that.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,862 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car - Don't User Hertz!

So let me get this straight. You had a positive experience previously, but recently one that wasn't positive and because if that one experience you feel the need to tell anyone who will listen not to use Hertz.

Northwest
Level Contributor
3 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car - Don't User Hertz!

It wasn't just the brakes. The man who was helping us kept trying to upgrade us to a vehicle that was more than double our original cost. I finally asked him if there was something in-between and he acknowledged that "oh ya let me check here". Last time when we got a car seat for the toddler, they were very helpful and asked if we needed any assistance with installing the seat. Also, they showed us exactly where our rental car was. This time he simply pointed in a direction and said that "it was down that way". The brakes were a great issue as this is a safety issue. I trust that when I use a rental service they have checked out the cars thoroughly for safety issues. So maybe my post should have a different title but I still stand firm that this experience was very negative and I will think twice about using this Hertz.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car - Don't User Hertz!

I DO sympathize with you and I do understand that this may have put a crimp on the start of your vacation (how was it by the way?). But....

It does sound like they had your intended vehicle and you wanted an upgrade. Keep in mind that this is a VERY busy time for that Hertz location....lots of visitors now. Doubling the price may have been justified as there may have been an extreme demand. Either way, you had a car.

Maybe in fact the clerk could have been a little more forthcoming with help. In my experience, I have sometimes spent an inordinate abount of time hunting for my vehicle.... even resorting to hit the "panic" button on the key fob to get a location (anyone else ever do that?)

I absolutely agree that faulty brakes are a safety issue but what did you do to remedy it?

Dr. Z

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Car - Don't User Hertz!

Sorry that you had a bad experience, but a few comments / questions...

First, neither Hertz nor any other car rental company will ever, ever help you install the child safety seat in the car. Its a huge liability issue for them if they were to install it improperly.

Beyond that, I have to ask, why did you drive the car off of the lot if the brakes were squeaking? Wouldn't it have been better to ask for another car straight away? Also, did you attempt to contact the Hertz location via phone about the brake issue after you had taken the car off the lot? I'm sure they would have let you return to swap for another car (an inconvenience to be sure, but better an inconvenience than risking your safety) - if you weren't too far away, they might have even brought another car to you. Granted, its on Hertz to maintain their cars and not issue cars to customers that have brake issues or are in need of other repairs, especially safety repairs, so that's their fault, but it doesn't sound like you made any effort to address the situation either.

Finally, I hate to say it but rental car companies are in the business of upselling everything. The employees are all on commission. They make more money if they upgrade you to a large SUV instead of a mid-size sedan. This is true at every rental company, not unique to Hertz. I don't like that Hertz does it, but there are no good alternatives if you don't like that sort of thing since you'll get the same treatment everywhere, at least in my experience.

Edited: 13 August 2013, 17:27