We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego Zoo / Sea World Tips & Best Beach for Toddler

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego Zoo / Sea World Tips & Best Beach for Toddler

Hello,

Is one day each at the Zoo and Sea World good? Many have told me that you need more than one day at each. I have a 2 year old and our trip isnt long enough to do that so any advice on visiting the zoo and Sea World?

Also, what would be the best beach to spend a day at with a toddler? I have heard La Jolla or Coronado but didnt know which would be better. We are staying on Mission Bay not far from either.

Any advice you can provide would be much appreciated! Thanks!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego Zoo / Sea World Tips & Best Beach for Toddler

Hi Dhise ! Welcome to SD!

My personal opinion is that 1 day each with a 2 yr old is just fine. But every child is different so while my 2 yr old niece was finished with SeaWorld after 4 hrs perhaps your 2 yr old will not.

Staying in Mission Bay La Jolla will be pretty close. I would drive up to La Jolla and spend some beach time there. Although I don't see when you're coming so that will matter as to advise on parking. I see you don't mention Pacific Beach as a beach to visit so I'm wondering if that's because you're coming in before Labor Day or that weekend.

You can still visit Coronado. It has a lovely wide beach and generally the waves aren't too large. The Village is a block away. You can park for free in the residential streets a couple of blocks back from the beach.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego Zoo / Sea World Tips & Best Beach for Toddler

OK, one day at each is good, just pick and choose, and watch your toddler. Use a stroller, take breaks, at SeaWorld you can usually time the break with watching a show, but not, strollers are not permitted in show seating areas.

As for the best beach for a toddler, I like the Bonita Cove beach in Mission Beach, next to Belmont Park, you can see the Pacific Ocean and the waves, but the Bay side beach is great for little ones wit no waves, and a nice playground. Belmont Park has a few attractions for little ones.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego Zoo / Sea World Tips & Best Beach for Toddler

I think one day is plenty! For Sea World (especially) and the Zoo, we use a small and cheap umbrella stroller. I like to think that our friend's stroller was "taken by accident" but none the less, it disappeared from the stroller parking area while they were at a show. There are not really any places to use stroller locks. At the Zoo, the smaller stroller is also nice because of the SkyFari ride...it breaks down easily.

My favorite beaches for my toddler are Coronado and Winandsea in La Jolla. If you want to avoid waves, the area sort of near the Coronado Ferry Landing is decent.

New York
Level Contributor
949 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego Zoo / Sea World Tips & Best Beach for Toddler

There's a beach near the coronado ferry landing?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego Zoo / Sea World Tips & Best Beach for Toddler

Yes there is a small beach right where the Ferry Pier is. I used to enjoy watching the little kids dunk their toes in the water there. And a lot of people would plop down on the sand with or without towels and just kick back and watch the boating activity between Coronado and San Diego.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego Zoo / Sea World Tips & Best Beach for Toddler

On the east side of Mission Bay Park there is a small inlet called Leisure Lagoon, which is shallow and completely free of waves. There's a playground next to it. It is just north of the Hilton resort, on East Mission Bay Drive.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego Zoo / Sea World Tips & Best Beach for Toddler

Hi,

I recommend spending time at the bay. It's better for toddlers because the water is very calm and it is less crowded than the beach.

La Jolla Shores is the closer beach to Mission Bay, but I suggest going on a weekday and arriving between 8AM & 9AM for parking then leaving by 2PM to avoid traffic going back to Mission Bay. That was the beach I went to growing up, and people literally put signs up that say "not leaving". If you get lucky, there is street parking in the residential area, but the City of San Diego is very strict on time limits (2 hours). Now that I live in the area, I avoid La Jolla Shores during High Season. It's way too hectic with people and summer camps.

Go to North Pacific Beach and have a beach day between Law Street & Tourmaline. Way more calm during the weekday, and parking is more convenient.

Enjoy your stay! Oh, if you're in La Jolla, check out the Birch Aquarium.

Edited: 16 August 2013, 08:06
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Diego Zoo / Sea World Tips & Best Beach for Toddler

Yes, one day at the Zoo and one at Sea World is plenty. We were at each last week, and Legoland too. In summer, it's a lot of work to visit them all with the crowds, so we left a free day between each, to go to the beach or use the swimming pools, etc.

9. Re: San Diego Zoo / Sea World Tips & Best Beach for Toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 06:18