We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from san diego to anaheim and back again

Aberdeen, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
driving from san diego to anaheim and back again

we are going to be driving from san diego to Anaheim on the 14th October 2013 and returning on the 20th

1. we are staying at the Handlery Hotel in San Diego

2. we are staying at the Sheraton Anaheim in Anaheim

can anyone advise on the following -

- good car hire firm that is convenient to both hotels for pick up and drop off on Monday 14th October

- good car hire firm that is convenient to Sheraton Anaheim and san diego internation airport for drop off on sunday 20th October

- we need to check in at San Diego airport by 0810 (flight is 1010) on sunday 20th. what is the latest time we could leave Anaheim to be able to drive to San Diego on the sunday morning. Going to SD on the Saturday night is not an option as hotels all booked already.

thank you

Julz

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28,413 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from san diego to anaheim and back again

I always rent from Hertz they have many locations are are good for one way rentals. Next Id look at Avis, for one way rentals they often times have very good rates. Hertz and Avis are generally considered the two best rental car companies in the world.

There wont be any traffic unless there is an accident driving South on Sunday morning. Because you will need to return the car and then catch the rental car shuttle to the airport Id give yourself about 2 hours before the time you want to arrive in the terminal, it shouldn't take you al of that 2 hours. The drive that time of morning from Anaheim to the airport will take about 1 hour and 20 minutes.

You say your rooms are booked , does that mean they are non-refundable? The Handerly based on its location isnt a hotel Id recommend.

Edited: 17 August 2013, 23:19
Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Aberdeen, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from san diego to anaheim and back again

yes the hotels are booked and non refundable through our travel agent.

we chose the handlery because although we will be doing "touristy" things (zoo, seaworld, aquatica) we will be having a couple of quieter days by the pool as my mum is disabled and this will be the start of our holiday so don't want to tire ourselves out for Anaheim and Hawaii.

why would you not recommend the handlery?

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28,413 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from san diego to anaheim and back again

<<why would you not recommend the handlery?>>

As I mentioned above because of its location. Maybe for you its fine but for me a prerequisite for me when I travel (and where I live) is to be in a bustling area with restaurants, bars, entertainment etc that I can walk outside and be in the middle of it. Handerly is in an area called Hotel Circle that is very blah, its central to things to drive to but not really walking distance to much. You will need to drive to almost everything you do.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
646 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from san diego to anaheim and back again

Agree, handlery location not great

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from san diego to anaheim and back again

Try contacting Enterprise. They deliver & pickup their cars, but I'm not sure about drop off fees.

6. Re: driving from san diego to anaheim and back again

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 07:20