We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego hotel help

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
85 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego hotel help

Hi i was wondering if there is a hotel on the grounds of sea world, like Disneyland does, that is a very short walk (5-10 minutes) to the entrance of Sea World.

or a hotel we can walk to sea worlds entrance in 5-10 mins, going to have twin 6 year old girls who will get tired during the day without extra walking, wont have a car as hubby wont feel comfty driving in America as front Australia where everythings the opposite :) i dont drive at all

also if anyone knows a place close to seaworld (walking) how much would a taxi cost about and do 6 year olds need car seats in Taxi or any kind of booster seat?

thanks in advance

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24,657 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego hotel help

The two closest hotels are the Dana and The Hyatt Mission Bay. Probably a long 10 minute walk from the Dana a few minutes more from the Hyatt. If Im not mistaken the Hyatt has a water taxi of something that takes you to Sea World.

My question is this, what other than Sea World do you plan on doing in San Diego. Without a car it may be better to stay somewhere more centrally located and near public transportation and then just take a taxi to Sea World. Just for reference if you were to stay at one of the family friendly hotels downtown on the Bayfront like the Marriott, Hilton or Grand Hyatt a taxi will only be about $20 each way to Sea World ,but you will be within walking to about 100 restaurants, right on Sa n Diego Bay with Park Space, a quick 5 minute ferry ride across the bay from Coronado and across the street from our light rail system called the Trolley.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego hotel help

I agree. Unless you are only here for 1 day and on that one day you are going to SeaWorld I, too, recommend you stay some place better located without a car. The Hyatt Mission Bay could work with their water taxi if you either don't mind eating every meal on the property or don't mind paying for a taxi or waiting for the bus to take you other places to eat and otherwise visit.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,238 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego hotel help

Yes, The children will need car seats in taxis but not on buses.

You would be surprised at how many visitors from Oz manage to rent cars here and get used to driving on the "other side of the road".

San Diego is a large city with lots to see/do besides Sea World.

Let us know if you'd like some other ideas and how much time you have here.

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
85 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego hotel help

Thanks all, we will probably have 2 full days and a part day either side of the two days, we are going to see Hubbys family in Scotland and doing a stopover to take our girls back to Disneyland, i want to do a side trip to San Diego to go to Sea world and San Diego zoo, always wanted to see both, still working out if we are getting a flight or bus from anaheim / LA, but we are definately going to have very little time, i was thinking stay near Sea world to get there before opening as thats what im most excited about , plus thought being near the coast would be nice too :)

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego hotel help

Kim M - that being the case, as long as you're coming before the end of Sept, the Hyatt Mission Bay with their Water Taxi sounds like it could be your best bet.

Getting to the Zoo via public transportation (bus) will be more complicated and time consuming.

http://goo.gl/maps/TpJDl

You might consider taking the bus to Old Town which is only approx 25 - 30 min. And then in Old Town hop into a Taxi to the Zoo. Probably about $10 from Old Town.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego hotel help

FYI, the Paradise Point Resort also offers a water taxi service to SeaWorld. And both Hotels Water Taxi service is only offered from May to September.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego hotel help

Also, the bus ride on MTS Route 8 from the Hyatt in Mission Bay to the Old Town Transit center is only 10 minutes in length. And you can then take the San Diego Trolley system to get to the city college station to catch MTS Route 7 to the San Diego Zoo and Balboa Park.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Diego hotel help

DB - please clarify the bus taking 10 min.

A bus leaves W Mission Bay Dr & Mission Blvd at 8:56 a.m. and arrives at Old Town at 9:11am. That's at least 20 w/o traffic. Looking at the rest of the scedule the average w/o traffic is approx 17 - 22 mins. This is Mon - Fri.

Sat seems to run about the same. Same for Sun.

My estimate of 25 - 30 is long.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,031 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Diego hotel help

We just stayed at the Hyatt Mission Bay. I highly recommend it, if it's one of your choices. We drove across the street to Sea World as we have our own car, but saw many take the water taxi, on other days.

The hotel is clean, modern, and has a wonderful pool and waterslide area. Had B, L and D in the three restaurants at the Hyatt, and also ate meals at Sea World, and then of course other places during our time in SD.

Six year olds need a booster seat in a car, but not on the water taxi.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Diego hotel help

Ok, here is the actual time table for MTS Route 8...

www.sdmts.com/RouteFiles/routes/pdf/8_9.pdf

We are going for a stop or two after point E on the schedule to point A.

I did look at the early morning (shorter time), so you are right that it is closer to 15 minutes with some traffic. (The Bus Schedules factor in traffic, and why some times of the day it is longer than others.) So the average is right about 15 minutes (the LONGEST spread on the schedule is 16 minutes), and not the 20 to 25 minutes mentioned earlier. And that is from Belmont Park and not the Hyatt, which is closer to Old Town.

And the example used... >> at 8:56 a.m. and arrives at Old Town at 9:11am. << is 15 minutes.