We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accessible neighbourhood near beach and restaurants

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
153 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Accessible neighbourhood near beach and restaurants

We are looking to rent a condo or house in the San Diego area that will meet the needs of my husband who has mobility issues and needs a scooter to get around. We will have a car except when my brother uses it to go golfing. We would like to be able to walk to the beach and also to walk to restaurants. Can you recommend areas that are "flatter" and also close to the beach. Thanks for your help.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,836 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Accessible neighbourhood near beach and restaurants

Pacific Beach

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accessible neighbourhood near beach and restaurants

I would start with the Capri by the Beach Condo complex, plenty of VRBO units, an elevator and right next to the Pacific Ocean.

http://capribythesea.com/

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
153 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accessible neighbourhood near beach and restaurants

Wow. Such a quick response! I will start investigating. Thanks.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accessible neighbourhood near beach and restaurants

I would definitely stay where there's a boardwalk like Pacific Beach. Lots of restaurants to walk to.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accessible neighbourhood near beach and restaurants

We stayed at Capri by the Sea last year.

I think it fits your needs beautifully It is a high rise and fairly new. It has free assigned underground parking spaces. It also has a pool, on an adjacent property, however.

Every unit has a large window with a great view of Pacific Beach which is wide and long and full of surfers. both board and wind, and body, and families having picnics, doing kites, and etc. I spent a lot of time glued to the window....it was fascinating.

There is a "boardwalk" (cement path) in front which runs south to Mission Beach and further, and north to I don't know where....we didn't go there. Great for a scooter.

There are several very good restaurants in the area withing walking distance. For one, I suggest JRDN in the hotel I think is called Tower 23 (?) At any rare, a trip along the "boardwalk" is very interesting with shops as well as restaurants, and views of the ocean.

The condos here are individually owned and you can probably find some on VRBO. I prefer to go through an agency hired by the owners. Because if there are problems I have somebody in back of me in case of maintenance or other problems, and I am willing to pay more for the professional backup.

The agency we used has an office just around the corner from the complex, which was very helpful if I wanted to run down and ask a question. It is also better, in my opinion, when renting, because the agent is handling several units and you can ask questions about the latest redecoration and compare prices. We got a unit which had just been rehabbed with brand new kitchen appliances, etc., recommended by the agent. It was beautiful. I think the number was 911, not sure.

Here is the information. If you google Capri by the Sea you will get a lot of hits on agencies. This is the one we used, which is next door.

http://caprisandiego.com/

I think you would love it. Good luck.

Edited: 08 September 2013, 07:08
New York
Level Contributor
949 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accessible neighbourhood near beach and restaurants

Thanks for the review...we'll be staying there in a few weeks...nice to hear good review:)

7. Re: Accessible neighbourhood near beach and restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 06:25