We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay with a 1 year old

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Places to stay with a 1 year old

Hi. We are planning to visit San Diego for a week over the Christmas holidays and I would appreciate any advice on where to stay and activities. We have a one year old and would rather not rent a car. I was considering the Gas Lamp area or Coronado Island. Thank you!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay with a 1 year old

You might take a look at the Glorietta Bay Inn on Coronado.

It is across the street from the much more expensive Hotel del Coronado and the beach.

At Christmas the Hotel del is all lit up and decorated and has special activities including an ice rink at the beach. Even if you don't stay there you can still visit and go on the beach there too.

You can use a bus to cross the bridge into downtown or take a short taxi ride or passenger ferry. Not sure of your budget but you might also consider the Coronado Marriott which would be convenient for the passenger ferry which crossed the bay in about 15min.

IF you want to be in a more urban setting then staying in our small bayfront downtown:(gaslamp is only a few blocks of our downtown)would be convenient for transportation or tours. There are many many hotels so you'll just have to decide which would suit your family best there. I always think that renting a car and having a car seat with a little one is a better idea but if you don't want to do that it is certainly up to you.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay with a 1 year old

You make it tough by not having a car. Doubt a one year old would even know it's Christmas but without a car the issue of a car seat is a problem. Coronado is nice at Christmas but you really need transportation.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay with a 1 year old

Thank you for the information. We just want a relaxing vacation and be within walkable distance to attractions. Does the water taxi run in the winter? I am now thinking it may be better to stay in the Gas lamp area. We can spend a day at the zoo, a day at Coronado Island and maybe take the trolley tour another day. Also, is the Gas Lamp area walkable to SeaPort Village?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay with a 1 year old

Downtown would be the most convenient w/o a car. Dont confuse Downtown with the Gaslamp Quarter. The Gaslamp is only a couple of streets and I wouldn't pick a hotel there because at night it can get noisy. But there are many hotels in Downtown. There will also be an ice skating rink at Horton Plaza at the foot of the NBC Bldg on Broadway.

Downtown will be easier to get around but Coronado would still work especially since you'll be here for a week. It will just take more time to get places. The 901 bus goes from there to Downtown. As said, you can get to the Coronado Ferry Landing and then take the Ferry to Downtown.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay with a 1 year old

Again, the "Gaslamp" is only a few streets in our downtown so other hotels in downtown that are not in the gaslamp may also be a good choice.

Yes, it is all walkable to Seaport Village.

One suggestion is that you look at the Embassy Suites/downtown San Diego.

It is just outside the gaslamp facing San Diego Bay and across from Seaport Village.

It has suites and will offer free cooked bkfst and evening cocktail hour with nibbles.

They also have an indoor pool which might be nice in the winter.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stay with a 1 year old

The Ferry and Water Taxi are two different forms of transportation. I think you are talking about the Ferry and not the Water Taxi. The Water Taxi has a limited schedule and is more expensive.

The Ferry

http://www.sdhe.com/coronado-ferry

Water Taxi

http://www.sdhe.com/water-taxi

Seaport Village is on our Bay / Marina and is essentially in Downtown SD. You can walk about 10 to the heart of Downtown and Gaslamp about 15 min. When you're looking at hotels I would avoid any on 5th Ave which is the heart of the Gaslamp.

7. Re: Places to stay with a 1 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 06:21