We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

(another) Hotel Question

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
883 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
(another) Hotel Question

We are a family of 4 (kids 4 & 7) spending most of our holiday in Anaheim later this month. We were planning on a day trip to see Sea World, but are also now thinking of visiting Legoland and perhaps the zoo, making an overnighter a better option.

I have some Hilton points, so would like to use those for the hotel (max 40,000 for the one night). There look to be a few options around with the various brands, but not sure if we are better staying closer to Sea World (e.g. Mission Hills/valley area) or somewhere in between (e.g. Del Mar). We will have a car.

Any advice on pros and cons of each area, or other areas we should look at, would be appreciated.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,600 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: (another) Hotel Question

With 40,000 points you could get two nights at the Homewood Suites in Liberty Station and that would be my first recommendation (both the hotel and doing two nights in San Diego).

I wouldn't choose Mission Valley over the Hiltons on Harbor Island, Mission Bay, or in the Downtown area.

The Hiltons in the Del Mar area are nice hotels, but mostly business hotels, not in the Village area of Del Mar.

If you stick with just one night the Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Resort & Spa would be convenient to Legoland, but a bit further to the Zoo.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,185 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: (another) Hotel Question

I think that Homewood Suites/Liberty Station is one of the most popular hotels for families so I'd definitely take a look to see how many points you'd need to stay there!

I don't particularly like Mission Valley because it is just a beside the road area and not a neighborhood where you can walk to much. The Del Mar Hilton would not be a terrible 2nd choice. You'd just have to take into account early morning and late afternoon traffic for people going to and from work.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
883 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: (another) Hotel Question

Thanks for the help, we have booked a night at Homewood Suites Liberty Station. It ticked enough boxes - close to Seaworld, pool for the kids, good area to go running, free parking, a couple of handy restaurants to choose from, and great reviews here on TA!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: (another) Hotel Question

I think you've made a good choice. Lots of people run along the sidewalk along the water inlet there. We walk my sisters' dogs in the great park. And when my nieces are in town they 'love' that playground. It's a nice one because there are 2 next to each other. One with play equipment for toddlers and one for kids that are a little bigger.

I will say though that you mention that on this overnight you're hoping to go to SeaWorld, Legoland and the Zoo. I'm thinking that it isn't possible. You could stop at Legoland on the way down to SD or on the way back to Anaheim, of course. But, I think (and you probably already know this) that you'll need to pick between SeaWorld and the Zoo. It sounds like SW is the priority though.

Whatever you decide, have fun !!

5. Re: (another) Hotel Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 06:22