We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking options Gaslamp

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Topic
Parking options Gaslamp

Hi,

We are staying at the Kimpton Palomar from Monday 21st Oct - Thursday 24th Oct, and would like to avoid paying the $39 parking charge. Could anybody recommend a suitable cheaper alternative, we probably won't be using the car over the 3 nights but need it to get back to LAX.

Thanks

Si

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,496 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking options Gaslamp

There are many lots in downtown that have 24 hour rates less than $39 but you won't have in/out privileges. You still will end up paying $20-$25 for 24 hours but only if you don't take the car out.

Another option and Probably the least expensive would be the offsite airport parking lots, I think some are as low as $10/ day. There are offsite airport lots around Kettner/Hawthorn in Litttle Italy that you could walk back to the Palomar in about 15 minutes or jump in a cab and it will be $8 or so to get to your hotel. Again this is only if you don't plan on moving the car.

if you do plan on using the car here and there I'd just pay to park at your hotel.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking options Gaslamp

paying $39/night if not using the car would bug me a lot. however, there are places in san diego i'd want to see such as la jolla, cabrillo national monument, mt soledad, pacific/mission beach so i'd definitly want a car for one day. you could consider parking it at the cheaper places 2 nights and then pay the $39 for one of the nights. maybe for convenience, the night before you head back to LA.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,695 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking options Gaslamp

That IS a high parking charge! It is actually; more than $39 since the web site says $39+tax!

IF you rent a hybrid car they will take off $19 from the parking charge.

I suppose that if you want to stay in a higher priced hotel then high parking charges are a fact of life in any large city. Parking the car at an airport lot will probably be the least expensive alternative if you don't want to change hotels.

4. Re: Parking options Gaslamp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 05:18