We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego Feb Weather etc.

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manitoba, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
San Diego Feb Weather etc.

Hi there.

We'll (family of 5) be in San Diego Feb 10-13. We're staying at the Embassy Suites downtown. We will have a car.

Our main must do's are the USS Midway and whale watching. We are hoping to be able to walk to these from our hotel. I also really want to head over to La Jolla and one kid has his heart set on the haunted house in Old Town. My question is what sort of weather is the norm for that time of year. I have read that it can be rainy and cool. We're not planning on hanging out at the beach, but would like to have somewhat warmish weather to walk around a bit.

Thanks!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego Feb Weather etc.

Hi Kadydawg! Yes, you can walk from your hotel to the USS Midway easily. And if you're going with the whale watching with Flagship it's also close by as is Hornblower. I know there are other companies that do it don't know the particulars of where they start from.

As far as weather, it's hard to say. I will say that I can't remember that last time I was cold or uncomfortable being outside walking around. When I'm out walking if I have a sweater or light jacket on I usually have to take it off. Our weather has been strange the last 2 or 3 years. I can get warm in Jan & Feb but we can get occasional rain but it 'usually' is a night and when it does rain in the day it doesn't last very long.

Some other haunted places

http://gothere.com/sandiego/Ghosts/

Manitoba, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego Feb Weather etc.

That sounds okay to me. We'll be coming from full on winter so it'll probably feel hot to us! I know no one can predict the weather, just hoping for no rain.

As an aside we're looking at Next Level Sailing whale watching on the America replica. Not sure if anyone has any experiences/thoughts on this. Kids are 13, 10 and 10 (all boys) and coming from landlocked Manitoba this would be quite an adventure for them. But Hornblower looks more comfortable and warm.

Thanks for your help!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego Feb Weather etc.

The Next Level does look like quite an experience. I wonder how they can guarantee "no seasickness"? I'm only really familiar with the Flagship Whale Watching tour. They have tours guided by Birch Aquarium Naturalists.

Would your boys be interested in the Air & Space Museum, or the Railroad or Automotive Museum?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,684 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego Feb Weather etc.

Impossible to guarantee NO seasickness!

I get seasick if I look at a boat(hehe).

Easy to prevent with over the counter meds or ginger pills(for some)

Manitoba, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego Feb Weather etc.

They would absolutely be interested in all those things. Are they located in Balboa Park? We're sort of torn on what to do because we really only have 2 full days there and then arrival and departure day (which is driving to Palm Desert to join the inlaws). I am insisting on whale watching and the Midway though. I believe there is an aviation museum in Palm Springs that we'll likely go to.

As for seasickness...haha. I have a husband who vomits on roller coasters or spinny things and a kid who vomits on planes/cars. So we'll be drugging ourselves up regardless just in case. Two of three kids have never been on a boat before (unless you count the boat over to WDW Magic Kingdom). It could be interesting!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego Feb Weather etc.

Ah - 2 days! Yes, that limits what you can do. Yes, they are in Balboa Park. Tough decisions ...

Yeah, I have to take something when I go on boats in the ocean. I wonder if they "force drug" everyone for that guarantee? LOL. I guess there must be some kind of stabilizers? But, how, on a sailboat? Anyway, let us know. I know your family will be taking something but see how the people around you do. Inquiring minds and all that.

Manitoba, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego Feb Weather etc.

It says on their website that the boat is very stable. Knowing zero about boats and what makes them stable/unstable I have no clue. They even list their sea sickness rates for each tour, i.e. how many people per trip were sick. I joked to my husband that on our trip it'll say 5. We're doing it for the adventure/experience. Let's hope it's not memorable for us hanging our heads over the side of the boat puking!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Diego Feb Weather etc.

One option to hopefully view Grey Whales without getting on a boat is the Cabrillo National Monument, in fact, they even provide Binoculars. (Some rules apply).

http://www.nps.gov/cabr/index.htm

9. Re: San Diego Feb Weather etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 05:17