We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking

Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Parking

Coming to California from Australia in December. I booked two nights at the International Travelers Hostel, 1658 Front Street, in San Diego, not thinking about the fact they probably don't have any parking spots and we are travelling around in a car. All our other accommodation is more upmarket and has parking. Can anyone give me any advice about where we can park our rental car.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,224 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking

Hi,

I did not know there was a hostel at that location. IF you use Google maps in the street version it shows a parking lot directly across the street from the hostel. I don't know if it belongs to them or is a pay lot so I'd e-mail the hostel and ask them about it.

Otherwise there are meters on the block that will go off( you don't have to pay) after 6PM and all day Sunday and holidays. Folks may start parking at them around 5:30 and just put a little money in so that their car can stay there overnight.

You may also be able to find street parking on nearby residential streets that don't have the meters if you are willing to walk a few blocks.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking

The parking lot across the street is a Pay To Park lot. The hostel has no parking so you do have to drive around and look for a parking spot on the street if you don't park in the lot. I do go by there a fair amount and since the lot is very small it is frequently full. Around the corner on West Date St there are more parking spaces. There are other Pay to Park lots around there.

Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking

Thank you very much, this is very helpful.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking

Hypatia - something I just thought of. If you are here on a Saturday parking will be difficult. There is a Mercado in Little Italy in the morning. And it starts there on Date St right around the corner. They do offer 2 hrs free parking. Just in case here is the link

http://www.littleitalysd.com/about/parking/

For parking in general in Little Italy- hopefully it's up to date

littleitalysd.com/about/…

Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking

Wow! Thank you so much, little details can make a big difference to how things go, we arrive in SD on a Friday so that's much appreciated.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking

Your welcome!

http://www.littleitalysd.com/mercato/

Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking

Thank you very much, greatly appreciated:)

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking

Hi!

There are also Car2Go http://sandiego.car2go.com/ available for rent as needed that are parked through out the city, and there are many in the Little Italy area. That way, you won't have to think about parking a rental car and worry about moving it while you're staying there. The meter maids are sticklers during the day with handing out parking tickets if you park over 2 hours between certain hours, or if over on the meter.

Everything is walking distance in Little Italy or a short cab ride to Downtown, Balboa Park, and Harbor Island. This gives you the option to not have to rent a car while you're there and pick up a rental when you leave the area to stay somewhere else in San Diego. Hope this helps.

Enjoy your time!

Edited: 05 October 2013, 07:27
9. Re: Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 06:19