We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to stay for one.

Surrey, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Best places to stay for one.

Hi there,

I am looking into visiting San Diego in January. I would really like to stay close to the beach. I like quiet, clean and safe(because it's just me,single female) hotels, within walking distances of coffee shops and restaurants. I want it to be a relaxing vacation, so I don't need any night life. I'm not planning on renting a car. I'm going to go the zoo for a few days, but other than that no other activities planned. Depending on the location and quality of hotel, I'm pretty easy on price. Just trying to get a good start of information. Thank you very much.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to stay for one.

Hi single - if you want to be staying at a beach you might want to consider Pacific Beach. Just know that to get to the Zoo it's approx 40 mins to an hour using public transportation. The Zoo is in Downtown SD. There is no beach in Downtown only the Bay and Marina.

IMO for a more quiet and clean option I'd happily stay in Coronado. A lovely beach town. It will still take you at least an hour using public transportation to get to the Zoo but if you took a cab it would be approx 15 mins and approx $20. I would prefer Coronado over PB for a nice, quiet, lovely area. I worked there for many years. There are restaurants and cafes, etc.

Also, Coronado is just across the bay from downtown SD. You can take the Ferry (15 min) to Downtown. But, the ferry doesn't stop close to the Zoo. You would still need to either take a bus or a taxi to the Zoo. But it does take you to downtown restaurants, etc. Here is some info

http://coronadovisitorcenter.com/

http://www.coronadoferrylandingshops.com/

http://www.sdhe.com/coronado-ferry

http://www.1906lodge.com/

marriott.com/hotels/…

Those are the real two options to stay at a beach w/o a car. With a car the whole world changes.

Edited: 17 October 2013, 08:11
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,045 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to stay for one.

I agree that without a car, staying in Coronado is a good idea!

It has a small town feel with a main street that has shops and restaurants and of course a lovely beach!

There is a passenger ferry that goes across the bay to downtown San Diego and also a city bus line that does the same thing. You could also make use of the hop on hop off bus tour if you like(www.trolleytours.com) There is a wide variety of lodging from the 5****** Hotel del Coronado to small hotels like La Avenida.

Pacific Beach is also a possibility.

It has more of a honky tonk/surfer feel with a cement path along the beachfront where you can walk/bike etc. BUT it will be harder to get to other sights using the #30 bus.

Edited: 17 October 2013, 12:52
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to stay for one.

another vote for coronado. not the ocean beach, it's on the bay side but i always thought glorietta bay hotel looked quant. it's across the street from the hotel del. if you like to bike ride, i'd look into renting a bike. that would give you transportation to get to and from the ferry terminal. la jolla would be another place you could look into as it meets your needs as quiet, restaurants, beautiful cove area. but, it is further from the zoo. not sure how long it would take you to get there on public transportation. pacific beach is a lot of fun for people watching and has lots of restaurants but it would be the busiest area out of the three choices. lots of fun though.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to stay for one.

I agree with the PPs that Coronado is what you are looking for. If you can afford it, I would stay in one of the B & B's like the 1906 Lodge or smaller hotels like La Avenida that Riff M mentioned.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
121 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to stay for one.

I am all for Coronado! I just got back from a wonderful vacation there (and as you can see I'm missing it because I'm still on this forum).

I would feel perfectly comfortable staying in Coronado by myself.

I stayed at the Coronado Beach Resort. The beach was right across the street and there was a little shopping area across the street too with different places to eat.

As for the transporation I rented a car..so I don't know anything about getting around:)

Hope you have a good of time as I had!!!

The area was so quiet and relaxing! I'm already planning my trip back for next year!!!

Surrey, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places to stay for one.

Thank you so much everyone!! I wasnt even looking into staying in Coronado, but it sounds exactly like what I want. Again thank you all so much for taking the time to give some information. I will let you know how everything works out. I'm excited to come and enjoy San Diego :)

7. Re: Best places to stay for one.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 November 2013, 14:05
Level Contributor
35,736 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places to stay for one.

Coronado is a beautiful place to stay! We like the Hotel Del Coronado there, right on the beach. :).

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,507 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best places to stay for one.

The village of La Jolla would be another option...you would be close to the beach and also have nice restaurants, coffee shops, and more.

Level Contributor
35,736 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best places to stay for one.

We also love La Jolla! The La Valencia looks like a place we would love in this area. :)