We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle, car service or taxi from San Diego Airport to UCSD?

SF
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shuttle, car service or taxi from San Diego Airport to UCSD?

Son is traveling alone to visit UCSD flying in and out of San Diego International Airport. It looks like a taxi costs more than a shuttle service? I've found either Super Shuttle or Torrey Pines Car Sevice. Super Shuttle (same as Carmel?) gets bad reviews but Torrey Pines is expensive. Can it really cost $75 each way for a 30 minute ride?

(*Not interested in sending him on the public bus alone-seems too confusing and takes 3Xs as long.)

Please help me chose the best way. Thanks in advance!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle, car service or taxi from San Diego Airport to UCSD?

Alas, the traffic in the La Jolla area is not just mileage, but slow traffic due to the way the streets are designed.

The main options..

A Shared Van (Shuttle)

A private Van/Town Car

A taxi.

So it doesn't sound like he needs a private van...

Major players in the Shared Van are Super Shuttle and Prime Time Shuttle.

A quote from Prime Time is $29 for one person.

Using Taxi far finder, the basic estimated trip is around $50, but might go up if there is heavy traffic, due to "wait time".

I would opt for the shared van.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,238 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle, car service or taxi from San Diego Airport to UCSD?

We use this car service:

http://terramoto.net/

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,238 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle, car service or taxi from San Diego Airport to UCSD?

It should not be $75 each way!!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,644 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shuttle, car service or taxi from San Diego Airport to UCSD?

A shared van from Cloud9 SuperShuttle is $19 one way from the airport to UCSD.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,252 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shuttle, car service or taxi from San Diego Airport to UCSD?

It actually could be done using the public transit system, and it would cost only $5, but it would take about 90 minutes to get from the airport to UCSD. And, it could only be done on weekdays, since some of the bus routes listed below don't operate on Saturdays, Sundays or holidays.

One option would be to take bus #992 from the airport to Broadway and Kettner, then walk from there to the Santa Fe Depot of the San Diego Trolley light rail system, take the Green Line Trolley north from there to the Fashion Valley station, then take bus #41 from there north to UCSD, getting off the bus at La Jolla Village Drive and Villa La Jolla Drive, then walking up into UCSD by the Villa La Jolla entrance.

The other option would be to take bus #992 from the airport to Broadway and Front Street, get off the bus there, walk to Broadway and 1st Avenue, and take bus #150 from there to Gilman Drive and Myers Drive, then walk west into UCSD.

Both of the above options would require a bit of walking, which would be difficult if he has a lot of luggage, but would be possible on normal weekdays. The total one-way charge would be $5 because he could buy a 1-day pas for the bus/trolley system for $5 from the driver of the first bus he gets on. They can't make change so it would have to be exactly $5.

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shuttle, car service or taxi from San Diego Airport to UCSD?

Hi !

La Jolla Star http://www.lajollastar.com/rates.html charges $55 for Airport to La Jolla (it might be $60).

Is he doing a campus visit? Does he know anyone currently attending UCSD already that would be willing to pick up and drop off?

Unfortunately, the cheaper it is, the more inconvenient it is.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shuttle, car service or taxi from San Diego Airport to UCSD?

Uber just started here in San Diego recently. They claim to be 35% less than taxis. I have not used them personally, but know a lot of people that have and are super happy.

Edited: 17 October 2013, 23:43
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shuttle, car service or taxi from San Diego Airport to UCSD?

Uber is a quasi service that might be illegal in the State, as it is not regulated in regards to insurance and safety.

Since it looks like Super Shuttle is cheaper than Prime Time for a shared van, I would opt for that.

Encinitas, CA
Destination Expert
for Encinitas
Level Contributor
564 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shuttle, car service or taxi from San Diego Airport to UCSD?

Super Shuttle always gets a certain number of lousy reviews everywhere, I guess because they're big, but every time we've used them they've been fine. Last month we used them from SAN to home here in Leucadia and we ended up on a van with a young couple going to UCSD. From that experience I'd say your son would be fine with them, but it would definitely help if he has very specific information about where he needs to go.

The campus is quite large and the couple traveling on our van didn't come up with a specific location until after we'd traveled to the center of the campus where our shuttle driver's GPS took us! There were language difficulties involved, but eventually, using the help of google maps on passengers' phones, they were dropped off at their destination.

This did delay our arrival at home by probably 10-15 minutes, a catastrophe by many peoples standards, especially considering we'd been traveling for about 20 hours since we left Amsterdam that morning, but SS did their job and we arrived home within the time frame we'd expected.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shuttle, car service or taxi from San Diego Airport to UCSD?

I agree with leucadian that Super Shuttle is fine. I have never had any problems with them. Complaints often come from people whose destination is at the end of the shuttle route because of detours and delays (like leucadian described).

I also use Terramoto that Riff M mentions, but they are a taxi service and more expensive than the Super Shuttle. For the UCSD area, Terramoto will be approx. $48 ($40 + $8 tip, which is included).