We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Western Island Palms - Car rental or not

West Lafayette...
11 posts
Save Topic
Best Western Island Palms - Car rental or not

We will be staying at Island Palms this weekend (10/25-10/28) and looking for opinions on car rental. We are flying in on Fri and flying out Mon. It will just be my wife and I, no kids. Mid 40's, not interested in zoo, sea world ... but plan to goto Old Town, Gaslamp District, Little Italy...

From what I've seen here, Shelter Island has access to the bus route, but it isn't convenient. So, I'm leaning towards getting a rental. My wife seems to think it would be a hassle to deal with parking and would rather use public transportation or taxis. I'd prefer to have the convenience of the rental over depending on public transportation, tracking routes and schedules... But if traffic and parking are a big issue, a rental may be a bad choice. I believe parking is free at the hotel and they provide an airport shuttle. How bad is parking around San Diego? Hard to find? Expensive? Free lots? Street meters? When we make a trip to the Gaslamp District, I imagine we won't drive as we will be "enjoying" ourselves, so there is one evening that a rental would be wasted. How much is taxi fare from Gaslamp District to Shelter Island. It looks like a rental will be ~$80.

The trip is just a few days away and was hoping to get a good idea on this. Is it a definite must have, a convenience, or take it or leave it?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Western Island Palms - Car rental or not

Yes, the location is not Transit Friendly, so get the rental car.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,027 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Western Island Palms - Car rental or not

You really need a car to get around from that location but I suppose on a short weekend stay you could make do with taxis and/or using the free shuttle to get to the airport where you could then take a city bus into downtown for visiting the gaslamp and even Little Italy.

The gaslamp is really a place to go at night so not sure what you'd be doing during the day??

Little Italy has a nice street fair/farmer's market on Saturday so that might be what you are planning?? Old Town has lots of free parking on the street and in lots.

In downtown there are lots of parking lots(pay lots) and after 6PM you can park at a meter for free(and on Sunday)

IF you had a car you could visit some of the other scenic spots in the city that don't seem to be on your "to do" list.

West Lafayette...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Western Island Palms - Car rental or not

We don't really know what we are doing, nothing is planned other than the flight and hotel. Basically, we have an oppurtunity to leave the kids behind and get away for a long weekend and haven't been to the San Diego area before.

My wife is a vintiner. If there is an oppurtunity to visit some wineries in the area, that would be very nice. It looks like the closes area for that is Temecula. If so, a rental would be required. Any advise on wineries in\around San Diego? How about breweries other than Stone?

4. Re: Best Western Island Palms - Car rental or not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 October 2013, 18:05
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,193 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Western Island Palms - Car rental or not

We have somewhere around 60 microbreweries in San Diego county.

We also have many bars with large selections of local craft beers, so my suggestion is hit one of those so you can try many different beers.

If you want to go to the breweries themselves maybe look at some of the tours that transport you to several breweries.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Western Island Palms - Car rental or not

Close to Shelter Island is Liberty Station. There is a wine store / restaurant there called Wine Steals

http://www.winestealssd.com/

http://goo.gl/maps/JfzuF

Oh, I almost forgot there is a small wine shop that you can walk to in a few minutes, Grape Connections

http://www.grapeconnections.com/

http://goo.gl/maps/bNu5o

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Western Island Palms - Car rental or not

If you want to try wines from Baja, Mexico make your way to Whole Foods in Hillcrest and go to the cafe, 7th Ave Pub. They serve wines from Guadalupe Valley

www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/sandiego

It might not be practical w/o a car though.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,193 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Western Island Palms - Car rental or not

We have somewhere around 60 microbreweries in San Diego county.

We also have many bars with large selections of local craft beers, so my suggestion is hit one of those so you can try many different beers.

If you want to go to the breweries themselves maybe look at some of the tours that transport you to several breweries.

Edited: 21 October 2013, 19:14
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Western Island Palms - Car rental or not

A taxi from your hotel to the Gaslamp will be about $25 1 way.

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=SD&from=best+western+island+palms%2C+shelter+island%2C+san+diego&to=Gaslamp+Quarter%2C+San+Diego%2C+CA

Here is just one website with info on beer & wine tours

sandiego.org/members/tours-sightseeing/san-d…

I would definitely check out reviews on yelp and TA, etc. before paying for a tour.

Edited: 21 October 2013, 19:52
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,027 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Western Island Palms - Car rental or not

We find that if we go to Temecula to taste we can sip at several wineries, and then have a nice long lunch. That allows us to manage the effects of the alcohol. Remember you are tasting and not "drinking" . There's a difference!