We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where shall I stay? 2 days in San D, no car, lone traveller

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Where shall I stay? 2 days in San D, no car, lone traveller

I've been reading through the posts on here, but none quite right for my situation.

I will be coming to San Diego for business but will stay for 2 extra days to look around. The business trip I will be free in the evenings so if anyone knows any unusual things to do rather than eating/drinking that would be cool.

I want to go to the Zoo (1 full day), do a food/walking tour and go whale watching (the 2nd day). I would also perhaps like to find quirky bars and restaurants for breakfast and dinner and perhaps wander along a nice beach.

So good people of TripAdvisor... Which neighbourhood shall I stay in to maximise these things? I have no car. Will rely on trolleys, buses and walking (no cycling).

Any help much appreciated!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where shall I stay? 2 days in San D, no car, lone traveller

Where exactly in San Diego will you need to go on business?

Transit Friendly areas include anywhere on the San Diego Trolley System, or if you like something more scenic, the Pacific Beach area has good transit, with 4 main bus system to the area, and is a short ride to the San Diego Trolley station in Old Town. So lots of quirky bars and restaurants in the PB area.

www.sdcommute.com

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where shall I stay? 2 days in San D, no car, lone traveller

Where will be staying on this trip?

The best areas to stay w/o a car are Downtown San diego, Little Italy and Old Town. 3 distinctive areas where using public transportation is the easiest.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,970 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where shall I stay? 2 days in San D, no car, lone traveller

Hi Moonface101,

Welcome to the forums!

Please let us know where you will need to be for your business meetings?

The easiest areas to access public transit would be any of the hotels in our downtown,Little Italy(just north of downtown) and Old Town(just north of Little Italy.

Since you want to go to the zoo and go whale watching perhaps you'd enjoy staying in a hotel along the bayfront downtown?

IF you let us know the type of hotel you prefer/budget etc. we can make specific recs.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 23:16
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where shall I stay? 2 days in San D, no car, lone traveller

If you are on a budget, the Old Town area is good, and has easy transit to a beach.

But if you can afford it, a beach/bay side Hotel/Motel in the Pacific Beach area is good for bars, restaurants, and walking along the beach. The areas mentioned in post 2 and 3 are inland.

But as mentioned, where do you need to go for business? It might be better to stay there, and just use public transit for a day at the beach....

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,970 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where shall I stay? 2 days in San D, no car, lone traveller

Hi again,

Your profile is not filled in so we cannot tell your age group or anything about you but your home city. I say that because beaches here have different personalities and even which area might be good for bars restaurants might depend on your age range/taste/style etc.

The more information we have about your likes/dislikes/taste/needs the better we can offer intelligent advice.

By the way, I have a good friend working in Leipzig which I see is not far from Jena!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where shall I stay? 2 days in San D, no car, lone traveller

Wow, thanks for the responses everyone! I will be staying in the Gaslamp area on business for 6 days. So maybe somewhere a bit different from that, but still with good transport networks. Pacific Beach sounds nice...

I am looking into budget hotels and airbnb (absolute max $100 per night).

And I will update my profile - thanks. I am living in NYC these days... bit of a change from Jena! Leipzig is an awesome city!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,970 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where shall I stay? 2 days in San D, no car, lone traveller

You might also want to update your location which is listed under your screen name.

When we see European locations our advice might be different than for a person used to NYC!

We do not have the sort of public transport that you find in NYC!!

IF you stay in Pacific Beach then you will be using buses to get around.

The Gaslamp is a small area of our small bayfront downtown.

You might try La Pensione in our Little Italy neighborhood which is just north of the downtown core.It should be around your budget. It has better transport links which include lightrail in addition to buses.

You can then go out to Pacific Beach if you like but can also get to the zoo easily.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where shall I stay? 2 days in San D, no car, lone traveller

When is this trip? Budget can depend on what time of year, etc. You might find something in PB thru Airbnb for $100 depending when you're coming

9. Re: Where shall I stay? 2 days in San D, no car, lone traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 04:19