We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego/la Jolla/Carlsbad

Tallahassee
3 posts
Save Topic
San Diego/la Jolla/Carlsbad

Active couple staying in Carlsbad Nov 2-7. Need help planning activities from there to San Diego. Interested in active outings like hiking, trail running, kayaking, biking; sightseeing beautiful scenery; shopping off the beaten path, e.g. cool boutiques; good eats. Not into kiddie parks or touristy haunts, except maybe the zoo. Thank you!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,896 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego/la Jolla/Carlsbad

Check out Torrey Pines state reserve - great views, hiking, and the beach.

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego/la Jolla/Carlsbad

Hi Terri,

For Kayaking, I suggest La Jolla Cove. It's a bit "touristy" but locals love it too. If you head over to La Jolla Shores there are a few businesses that run kayak tours and rentals.

For hiking, if you are open to going inland there is Mt. Woodson Trail out in Poway. There's also Torrey Pines Reserve as mentioned above.

For shopping/boutiques Encinitas (along PCH), Solana Beach Cedros District, Little Italy, North Park, Hillcrest are a few neighborhoods that have nice boutiques. I also suggest Capricorn Boutique in Bird Rock La Jolla.

For food, if you're in La Jolla: Girard Gourmet, Michele Coulon Dessertier, Prep Kitchen, Whisknladle, are restaurants/cafes I suggest. Little Italy is also filled with great restaurants (Benocotto's is one of them)...also grab gelato from Papaleccos if you decided to go to Little Italy.

Since you're in Carlsbad, check out Pizza Port for yummy pizzas and their micro-brews.

Be sure to enjoy fish tacos. My 2 personal favorite places for fish tacos are going to be Oscar's (one located in north pacific beach near la jolla) & Bahia Don Bravo also in Bird Rock La Jolla.

The Coast Highway is great for scenery. SInce you're staying in Carlsbad, I suggest heading south into Encinitas on your run, walk, or bike.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your time :)

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego/la Jolla/Carlsbad

I second november-moon on Torrey Pines State Reserve. Nice for hiking, trail running, and great scenery.

EatnDrinkLJ has some good suggestions on kayaking at La Jolla Shores. Hiking at Mt.Woodson is fine, but I prefer Iron Mountain for some great conditioning hike or run. There is also Cowles Mountain. All three are pretty popular, so try to go early in the day. Bring water.

What kind of biking do you like to do? For street biking, you can rent on the same street in La Jolla Shores where the kayak outfits are. Keep in mind that San Diego drivers are often not aware of bikes, so ride defensively.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego/la Jolla/Carlsbad

black's beach below torry pines is a nice beach for a long walk. clothing optional so if that's a problem don't go there. "the strand" south of the hotel del has some nice beach areas and long run.

Anza-Borrego Desert SP

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego/la Jolla/Carlsbad

In addition to above, Del Mar is a tony and upscale neighborhood with boutique shopping, both on the main drag known as Camino del Mar and in a nice shopping center, Del Mar Plaza....both of these locations are near the coast......you can take a nice detour inland and wind up in plush Rancho Santa Fe, which is an exclusive equestrian neighborhood with expansive and expensive estates lined with huge Palm tree streets--be sure to check out a cocktail at the posh Rancho Valencia Resort's Pony Room or dinner at Veladora--extremely nice grounds, yet not stuffy and a nice contrast to the coast.......on your way up towards Carlsbad you can stop off in Encinitas and continue up the coast--you might wish to check out Solterra Winery and Kitchen in Leucadia (I've heard nothing but great things about this place and will be checking it out on Friday--tapas and wine).....finally, though not 'boutique', there is a great Factory Outlet Mall in Carlsbad that has some upscale stores that you might not find at all and/or other, typical outlet malls--this would include a Salvatore Ferragamo outlet store and a Barney's NY outlet store.

Lastly, have you considered a hot air balloon ride--that would certainly be different if it is a nice day...here's one company, you can probably do more Google searches for other companies:

http://www.hotairfun.com/DelMar.htm

Edited: 31 October 2013, 02:10
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego/la Jolla/Carlsbad

+1 Rancho Santa Fe. For a lovely but not exclusive dining option there (many of them are) try Thyme in the Ranch. Just off the "square." Great baked goods but lunches are super, especially the salads. Try to snag a seat on the patio. http://www.thymeintheranch.com/ Some fun shopping there as well.

Agree too with the recommendation for the Cedros section of Solana Beach. For dining in that area there I like Clare's on Cedros, Zinc and the Wild Note Café.

7. Re: San Diego/la Jolla/Carlsbad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 05:19