We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip vacation (SF Bay to SD) with 15 month old

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newark, ca
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip vacation (SF Bay to SD) with 15 month old

Hello - my hubby and I are taking our first long road trip with our son the first week of December (he will be 15 months by that time). After much searching I have landed on Homewood Suites/Liberty Station for the option of a seperate room, balcony, view of the bay, free breakfast & dinner, etc. at a resonable rate without all the extra fees that most of the other SD hotels/resorts charge like parking, wifi, etc. My question is what kind of things should I even bother spending money on to check out. Granted he won't remember anything and because he is small, won't be able to get on a number of rides, etc. I'm thinking of the SD Zoo for sure but we will be there for 4 nights and wanted to see what other things would be good ideas that all three of us will enjoy. Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated!

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip vacation (SF Bay to SD) with 15 month old

Hi,

Welcome to San Diego.,

While December will be too cool to go into the water, your son may just enjoy playing in the sand on one of our many beaches on a sunny day.

http://www.a-zsandiegobeaches.com/index.htm

Mission Beach, Mission Bay, Pacific Beach, and Coronado would all be within a 20 or so minute drive from Liberty Station.

There's also the New Children's Museum that he may enjoy.

http://www.thinkplaycreate.org/

In Balboa Park, there's the San Diego Model Railroad Museum. While most of the train layouts are quite elaborate, they do have a couple of corners with activities for younger kids.

http://www.sdmrm.org/

Also in Balboa Park, near the zoo entrance, are the Balboa Park miniature railroad and the 100-year old carousel.

balboapark.org/in-the-park/balboa-park-minia…

balboapark.org/in-the-park/balboa-park-carou…

There's the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla, and the Living Coast Discovery Center in Chula Vista (about 30 minutes from your hotel).

http://aquarium.ucsd.edu/

http://www.thelivingcoast.org/

Enjoy your visit.

Zed

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,730 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip vacation (SF Bay to SD) with 15 month old

I think that with a 15month old you should pick out activities that YOU like and he will just be along for the ride. As long as he is with you and you allow time for him to run around ,explore, play in the sand, go to a playground or park,etc. he'll be happy.

IF you would enjoy the zoo then showing him the animals there would be a good idea too.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip vacation (SF Bay to SD) with 15 month old

I am a mom to a 3 year old and when she was that small she loved Birch Aquarium (SeaWorld overwhelmed her) and the Zoo. She liked walking (strolling) along the waterfront and watching the boats and birds too. There is a nice park near the hotel you have chosen that we used to go to a lot when she was little to play at as well. It i connected to the hotel via a jogging path/sidewalk.

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip vacation (SF Bay to SD) with 15 month old

Hi,

Spend some time around Balboa Park. There's plenty of open space, so you can have a picnic or walk around and enjoy the architecture.

Also head over to La Jolla Cove. It's a beautiful scenic walk along the coast, and it's free!

Children's Museum might be a place you'd like to visit if you're in Downtown. www.thinkplaycreate.org/about/index.html

Have a great time!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip vacation (SF Bay to SD) with 15 month old

The hotel is in a good location to get around from. As said, there is a very large park next door to the hotel. My nieces love the playground. It's nice because there are two play areas next to each other. One for the younger kids like yours and one for bigger kids. You will also see lots of people, like my sister, walking their dogs there. And there's water activity to enjoy watching.

Approx 5 min drive is Shelter Island. There's a nice little playground on the bay next door to the pier. A little cafe has just opened on the pier with an assortment of hot dogs, homemade sausages, hamburger for $7 ea. A salad for $6. They serve beer & wine. It's nice becuse you have a fantastic view of downtown, Coronado & Pt Loma.

I agree to pick activities that you want to do as long as you allow the time for the little one to play. There's also a Merry-Go-Round at Seaport Village downtown walking distance to the Chrildren's Museum.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,493 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip vacation (SF Bay to SD) with 15 month old

With toddlers, you need to think small scale. Looking at something far off in the distance is no where near as interesting as something they can touch/interact with, even if our adult brains try to say that the far off thing is much more exciting. For e.g.: you are at the zoo pointing at a lion off the other side of the exhibit hiding in the grass, while your toddler is super excited about a beetle crawling at his feet.

I agree with Riff, at that age, you can start by considering what you want to do, although keeping in mind that you have to keep your toddler engaged and interested. However, spending large sums of money on things that you think might interest your child is probably not the right approach. Me? I love zoos and aquariums, so I would pay to go in, but that's for me.

Search out playgrounds and opportunities to run, swim, climb, etc. Believe it or not, I've always found public gardens are good for this. Most people think of gardens as being dull for children, but we've always quite enjoyed it.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
872 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip vacation (SF Bay to SD) with 15 month old

My just over 2 year old loved the Shamu show at Seaworld. In tears when it was over for more

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip vacation (SF Bay to SD) with 15 month old

that age, do what you and dad want to do. the kid won't know the difference. one exception...you might want to take him to the "children's pool" by the cove in la jolla. if the seals are out...that's fun. worry about what he wants when he's closer to 6 when he might remember something.

9. Re: Road trip vacation (SF Bay to SD) with 15 month old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 04:16