We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zoo or Safari park

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Zoo or Safari park

Hi all,

My wife, myself and my 13yr old girl are going to San Diego for the day in march next year we cant decide if we should go to the Zoo or the Safari park.

Can anyone help

thankyou in advance

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,252 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zoo or Safari park

Have you checked the website and which one do you like ? Both are very good and the zoo is a regular style zoo and in this case you walk downhill seeing all the exhibits

The park which is 45 mins from SD is more of a huge enclosure and while the tram price is included in the basic price, the extras such as the safari or the zipline make it more fun IMHO for a teen but one has to pay extra $$$ for tnem

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,368 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zoo or Safari park

Will you have a car?? You can't really get to the Safari Park easily without one!

I agree that paying for one of the extra cost safaris which go inside the animal enclosures would be the most interesting thing to do!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,566 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zoo or Safari park

If you go to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park you are not really going to "San Diego", it is in the extreme northeastern edge of San Diego County in the city of Escondido.

If you are going to the City of San Diego, the Zoo itself makes more sense as it is just north of Downtown San Diego and close to major public transportation hubs like the airport, train depot and cruise port.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,289 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zoo or Safari park

I tend to like the Safari Park because it is unique. They have a large field where the herbivores roam free, so it looks like Africa. The density of animals there is lower than the zoo, you won't see as many different types of animals, and since they are a breeding facility some of the enclosures are well suited for the animals to hide from view. Not an issue for your dates, but on a hot summer day the zoo is cooler.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zoo or Safari park

I see that you are going to Anaheim and Las Vegas. I don't know what order your itinerary is. But, if you decide on the Safari Park and you are coming from Anaheim OR Las Vegas you can stop in Escondido without coming down to San Diego. So if you are driving down from Anaheim you can stop.

http://goo.gl/maps/TmpQ5

If you are driving from LV you drive right by it

http://goo.gl/maps/ddai7

As said, the Zoo is IN San Diego (almost in downtown) and is South of where the SP is.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zoo or Safari park

thanks for the replys,

we are driving from Anaheim for the day, I like the look of the safari park and the zoo but only go to 1

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zoo or Safari park

The drive to either is about the same from Anaheim, maybe a bit quicker to the San Diego Zoo, depending on traffic.

So it really depends on what type of place you prefer.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,566 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zoo or Safari park

In March I might lean to the SD Zoo Safari Park, it is a pretty unique place, but either is fine.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
431 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zoo or Safari park

Safari Park over the zoo--hands down!!!

10. Re: Zoo or Safari park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2014, 04:16