We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balboa Park for the Holidays

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Balboa Park for the Holidays

I want to avoid the actual December Nights event at Balboa Park because I freak out in large crowds (and I have avoided all of Balboa Park in December since 2003), but I was thinking that it might be magical to check it out one evening on an off day. Can anyone tell me what it is like on say...a random Tuesday afternoon going in to evening...or Thursday...or whatever? Super crowded still? Pretty decorations? Decorated at all?

We have a 3 year old who is "all things Christmas" this year, so I want to take her out and let her experience as much of San Diego this holiday season as possible. Is Balboa Park in the evening one of those places?

We also have on the list of things to do the skating rink at NBC Horton Square, Hotel Del, Boat Parade...anything else "magical" for a 3 year old you can think of?

Thanks everyone!

San Diego, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balboa Park for the Holidays

The Park remains decorated throughout December. Santa and sleigh are up and lit. The canopy of lights will be over the certain of the Plaza de Panama. The Nativity scenes are open in the Organ Pavilion.

There is always a Poinsettia display in the Botanical Building (closed on Thursdays), and a trip down to The Old Globe has an exterior display of Whoville from The Grinch production.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balboa Park for the Holidays

I was at the zoo this weekend and they're setting up their Christmas lights already. You may want to check out their "Jungle Bells" events:

www.sandiegozoo.org/junglebells/m-index.html

Zed

3. Re: Balboa Park for the Holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 06:20