We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single femal traveling Solo to San Diego

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, North...
9 posts
Save Topic
Single femal traveling Solo to San Diego

I am a single female in my mid 30s and will be visiting San Diego for fun this coming thanksgiving and I haven’t booked a hotel yet – I have been looking at different areas and they all seem fun but I am torn.

Downtown seem fun and lots of options for restaurants and night life but I am interested in those and more …I wonder if it will be just like any other big city stuff.

I like non sleepy charming trendy towns where you can walk around day or night and feel safe, w/ little shops , local food/restaurants, and live music and may be some night fun/music bands etc where I can go to as a single female and still feel safe.

Little Italy ? Old Town ?

Pacific Beach sounds great too but wonder if it's too far from the other areas ?

I also want to go hike and see some of the amazing sunsets San Diego is known for and may be sail. 

Let me know what you think might be the best area to stay in and things NOT to miss out on checking out – I won’t have a car so a focal point close to trolleys or bus will be great too.

THANKS a million!!!!!!!!!!!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single femal traveling Solo to San Diego

Hi HDH!

I'm a single female living on the northern edge of Downtown SD. My go-to place is Little Italy for good food. There has been a recent restaurant boom and there are many choices. Also some cute cafes for coffee, tea, dessert.

It's centrally located and during the day you can walk to Downtown. It's also a short walk to the Bay and activities there. From the bay you can take the 15 min ferry to the quaint and cute Coronado. Cute little shops and restaurants and a beautiful beach where the Hotel del Coronado is. They have a ice skating rink on the beach and the hotel is beautifully decorated for Christmas.

Old Town isn't known for the best places to eat because it caters so heavily to tourists. I do enjoy visiting for an hour or two but I find it very touristy with all kinds of tourist stuff hanging around. The complete opposite from Little Italy,

The trolley stops in Little Italy and easy to use. At night I usually hop in a taxi to take me home from both Little Italy and Downtown. Although last night I walked home from Downtown around 8:30 or 9:00.

Edited: 19 November 2013, 22:43
New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single femal traveling Solo to San Diego

Every area has its own flavor but it sounds like Coronado is your cup of tea...unique and beautiful...you can take the ferry downtown. La Jolla has a beautiful town and scenery also.

Durham, North...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Single femal traveling Solo to San Diego

Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

I really appreciate it.

i am now thinking since i will not have a car to drive back & forth may be spend 2 nights in Coronado & 2 nights in Little Itally to enjoy both areas ?

Or it's not worth the hassle since I will only be in San Diego for 4 days.

Since I will be arriving mid day on thanksgiving day , I wonder which area will have places/restaurants/attractions open if any & more fun to be at on a holiday. Where I live everything closes & the whole place is almost shut down on a holiday day.

Also, any fun place w/ music to go to at night while there. Not a club but may be a nice welcoming atmosphere w/ live music or a band.

Any kind of live music is fun. I was in New Orleans few weeks ago & they have tons of places like this within waking distances from each other so just curious if San Diego offers something similar.

Thanks again for any feedback

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single femal traveling Solo to San Diego

if you are looking at 2 different places (i personally don't like switching hotels for such a short stay), i'd do two nights in little italy or downtown and 2 nights in pacific beach for the sunsets, beach vibe.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single femal traveling Solo to San Diego

Unfortunately you cannot compare our small downtown to New Orleans in any way. The most noteable being music venues.. We have the Shout House but you have to pay unlike when I went to Pat O'Brien's. If you eat dinner at Croce's you can go to their jazz club for free.

http://www.theshouthouse.com/

http://www.croces.com/

sandiego.org/what-to-do/dining-nightlife.aspx

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,695 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single femal traveling Solo to San Diego

You might consider going to the zoo on Thanksgiving Day. They will be open and also serving either a sit down meal or a buffet. It is very close to downtown:

sandiegozoo.org/zoo/alberts/special_events

As for other places open for dinner you can see some restaurants here:

www.opentable.com/promo.aspx?pid=1&m=15

There may be others that don't list on that site.

You could also take a harbor cruise with a buffet dinner on Thanksgiving:

http://www.hornblower.com/port/overview/sd+ThanksgivingBuffet

I totally agree with elizzie that NOTHING here will compare to New Orleans!!!!!

Edited: 20 November 2013, 16:47
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single femal traveling Solo to San Diego

Hi,

Given your emphasis on "non-sleepy" parts of town with "live music and may be some night fun/music bands," I would rule out staying in Coronado.

Coronado is a charming, and safe community that definitely warrants a visit one afternoon for all the reasons already mentioned, but aside from dining, there really isn't the kind of nightlife that you're seeking there.

About the only place that I can think of that plays live music in Coronado, is the Babcock & Story Bar in the Hotel del Coronado, and that's usually just one person with a guitar or keyboard. You can check out the performance schedule here:

www.hoteldel.com/babcock-and-story.aspx

Enjoy your trip.

Zed

Durham, North...
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Single femal traveling Solo to San Diego

You guys are awesome. Thank you all for the suggestions. They sound great ! I am excited :)

I am now back to considering staying in one place, may be The Pension in little Itally since it looks like its a central location to easily get to downtown , the ferry , the trolley & buses to take to get to the beaches (?)

I love all the music restaurants suggestions. Nice to find out the zoo might be open on thanksgiving day.

I forgot to mention that while i love the city attractions & what it has to offer I also love the outdoors so my plan is to also grab a sandwich & go on a hike or 2 ( am even open to guided hikes/tours) to see the sunset & whatever pretty spectacular views I can find . Any suggestions here will also be super appreciated.

I read you can take the bus from downtown to Sunset cliffs natural park. Does that sound like a good idea ? Or are there other

(easier/better ) options.

Thank you all again -- too many fun things to do such a little time :-)

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single femal traveling Solo to San Diego

Hi.

One place you may want to check out is Cabrillo National Monument for some short hikes and spectacular views of both the city and the ocean.

http://www.nps.gov/cabr/index.htm

The only hiccup getting out there using public transportation is that the bus to the park only operates on the weekdays. You can buy a day pass ($2 for a reusable/reloadable "Compass Card" + $5 for the day pass fare) take the Green Line trolley to the Old Town Transit Center, and then catch the #28 bus to Shelter Island Drive where you would catch the #84 bus to the park. You can check schedules here:

http://www.sdmts.com/

The park is open from 9 AM to 5 PM, and the last bus leaving the park grounds on a weekday is at 5:24 PM. (Sunset right now is around 4:50 PM.)

The Bayside Trail is about 1,8 miles in length (there and back) and takes you along the harbor side of Point Loma with views of the city.

If you want to take the bus to Sunset Cliffs, you'd take the Green Line trolley to the Old Town Transit Center and catch the #35 bus. Note, however, that on Sunday, it doesn't run the full route all the way to Sunset Cliffs. It cuts its route short on Sundays, dropping you about a mile from the park at Narragansett and Cable streets.

Zed

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Single femal traveling Solo to San Diego

For hiking and walking in addtion to Cabrillo Nat'l Monument there is Balboa Park which would be easier to get to.

balboapark.org/in-the-park/hiking-and-biking…

From Little Italy you can walk down to the bay and embarcadero

sandiegocoastlife.com/communities/san-diego-…

http://dreamtimedolphin.smugmug.com/gallery/3718107_6Phm6#!i=213262376&k=3379KQr

You can also walk to the Ferry and take the 15 min ride to Coronado and walk / hike or bike there.

http://www.sdhe.com/coronado-ferry

coronadovisitorcenter.com/directions/…

Another option to get to Sunset Cliffs with only one bus change is to take the Green Line to Old Town Transit Center and change to the #35 bus. They both take an hour but I'd prefer to only have 1 change.

http://goo.gl/maps/nbNFf