We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas to San Diego

San Diego
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Las Vegas to San Diego

We'll be leaving Lost Wages for our return trip to SAN on Thanksgiving eve. Is there a "good" time to get out of LAS to beat the traffic, or are we totally going to regret the trip????

Yes, we're are driving; I don't fly anymore.....

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,649 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas to San Diego

Im assuming you meant to post "Las Vegas". Keep in mind that there is only really 1 freeway to get from Las Vegas to California, so its will likely be packed that day before Thanksgiving as people are traveling on that day before the Holiday weekend. I would suggest leaving as early as possible. 5 or 6am would not be too early Imo.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,751 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas to San Diego

I, too, call it "Lost Wages". :-)

Sorry, I don't have any practical advice to add. Agree with Happy - it'll be a long drive, but what can you do about it? Ordinarily a Wednesday evening would be fine, but the evening before a major holiday...

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas to San Diego

Hi,

whenever i expect traffic I always leave in the evening or after midnight when everyone is asleep. Even though it's in the middle of the night, it is so much better than sitting in potential traffic.

I know the drive from Vegas to San Diego is a little different than driving from San Diego to Santa Barbara, but we left here at 2AM and skipped out on all the horrific LA traffic.

Good Luck!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24,642 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas to San Diego

You will mostly be going against traffic driving from Las Vegas, if you are leaving in the morning traffic will be a non-issue, if you leave in the afternoon you may hit some traffic through the inland empire, but I wouldn't expect it to be too bad heading South on the 15. Heading North on the 15 in the afternoon will be bad but that doesn't concern you.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,649 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas to San Diego

Lots of people travel to California from Las Vegas that time of year, especially right before a Holiday weekend, you might be surprised, but California is also a popular desintation for folks living in Las Vegas as well! And lots of people have relatives in California, I think its going to be busier than some would think, Jmo.

I personally wont really travel that route late at night anymore, as I have seen my share of pretty bad accidents in parts getting closer to Las Vegas, its just a desolate area with no lights, and things can happen late at nite or in the wee hours of the morning Imo.

San Diego
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Vegas to San Diego

What about jumping on the 95 down to the 40. It's longer but shouldn't there be much less traffic?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,649 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Vegas to San Diego

That route is even more desolate than the orginal one.

I would just add in the extra time to your trip (as if you went the 95 route) and go the regular route ( I-15) and leave early in the morning just to be sure you wont run into too much traffic.

You may get surprised and it wont be that bad, its hard to tell, and just a guess on my part that it will be busier based on past years. I dont think its worth it in this case to go so far out of your way.

San Diego
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Vegas to San Diego

I was also thinking of taking the 95 to the 62 to the 117 to the 10 and then cut through the mountains to Temecula. That's almost 80 miles further, but with traffic it may be significantly quicker. Mapquest says about an hour and half longer......

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Vegas to San Diego

Hi,

If you're willing to get off the beaten path, here's a trip that I made to Vegas last spring:

http://goo.gl/maps/7GmH6

Mojave National Preserve was fascinating with its plants, geology (volcanic cinder cones), and sand dunes.

If you do follow that route, I can recall seeing only one gas station between Twentynine Palms and getting back onto to I-15 (in Amboy along the old Route 66), so make sure you're topped off on gas. There really weren't any convenience stores or anything like it along the way, either.

The drive was pretty easy--no big mountain passes or twisting roads. I'd leave early in the morning to take a little time to enjoy Mojave or even dip into Joshua Tree National Park. (It took me all day to make the trip, but I stopped for several hours each in Joshua Tree and Mojave to photograph the Joshua Trees in bloom in March. Amazing.)

Safe travels.

Zed

Edited: 23 November 2013, 20:43
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,649 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Las Vegas to San Diego

I would just stick with the I-15 route, and not overthink things too much :)