We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego to Mexico

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
San Diego to Mexico

We are visiting San Diego this week and are trying to decide if we should make a side trip to mexico. We are not renting a car for most of our stay, but could rent one for the day. It seems like finding a rental to take into mexico is a challenge though. I have heard really good things about Ensenada and not so stellar things about Tijuana, but the source was there many years ago, so I would be open to going to either. My questions are wether you all think a trip to mexico is worthwhile? We love authentic mexican food, so that would definitely be a draw. Also what would be the best way to get down there? I had read about taking the san diego trolley to the border and walking over, but are cabs readily available after this point to take you onward? I really thought a bus would be easiest, but all I've found are tours. I really don't want to be stuck with a guide and a bunch of people. I would really love to find a bus that takes you from San Diego into Mexico and just drops you off and picks you up. Does such a thing exist? Any other good ways to get down there?

Thanks!

Another Side Of San Diego Tours
City Tours, Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Five Star Tours - Day Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Adventures in San Diego
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours
GoCar Tours San Diego
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,830 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego to Mexico

You can go for the day very easily by taking our lightrail electric train that we call "the trolley" to the last stop. It is at the border and then you just walk across.

Here is some good info about crossing/restaurant etc:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k705264…

There is a big new restaurant scene in Tijuana.

There are also nice places to stay in Rosarito Beach and Ensenada.

I'd ask on those forums about where folks rent cars or if they take buses from Tijuana.

I'd not go if you are here in San Diego for a very short visit but if you are here for longer then going to Mexico can be quite interesting.

I'd also suggest that if you have even more time then Mexico deserves its own vacation as the regions are all different and interesting!

Interesting tour possibilities:

http://www.turistalibre.com/

Edited: 30 December 2013, 20:07
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego to Mexico

Hi,

The coastal highway between Tijuana and Ensenada collapsed a few days ago as a result of earthquakes and recent rains, making it more difficult to get to Ensenada:

nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Mexico-Coastal-Hi…

Remember, too, that a passport (or other WHTI compliant document) is needed for re-entering the U.S., so hopefully you have them with you.

http://www.dhs.gov/crossing-us-borders

Zed

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego to Mexico

Since you are from the US and traveling in the US you may not think to bring your Passport. You will need it if you go, as said.

I agree, with Riff in that depending on how long you are here whether or not it's worth it to go. And I agree that going further south than TJ is a better idea.

I hadn't even heard about the road collapse.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,830 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego to Mexico

Hi,

From the Baja Norte forum info it is not the whole road from Tijuana to Ensenada that has collapsed. It is a portion of the road south of Rosarito Beach so one can still get to Rosarito on the toll road. After that traffic is being diverted to the free road which is making it a very busy congested drive from that point on.

LA
Level Contributor
10,241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego to Mexico

As above, you legally will need your passports for re-entry into the USA.

I don't think a day trip to Tijuana is worth much.

6. Re: San Diego to Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 05:19