We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to buy jewelry

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
where to buy jewelry

Hi all, I am currently in San Diego and will be in Irvine and Las Vegas next week. I would like to buy a diamond ring, which will be relatively expensive, so am looking for somewhere reputable and good value.

Of the three places I will be, where would be best?

Any thoughts on which city, which specific areas or specific jewelers are welcome.

Thanks

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to buy jewelry

Your best buy would be a pawn shop in Vegas. Chuck.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to buy jewelry

There is a huge factory direct store in Tustin, (near Irvine) that has been there for many, many years.

http://www.jewelryexchange.com/

I've purchased jewelry at Tiffany and Co. and it was the same price in San Diego as Las Vegas. My husband purchased my engagement ring at Royal Maui Jewelers here in San Diego and it has been great.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,640 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to buy jewelry

There are lots of reliable jewelry stores here. I am sure everyone has a different favorite.

I have no idea if prices are better in Las Vegas as I have never compared them.

Everyone has different taste in that matter. I really like estate jewelry with that old fashioned feeling but you may also want a more modern look. This store has both:

http://www.leohamel.com/ family owned, in business for 30 years etc.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to buy jewelry

I agree with the Jewelry Exchange, it is small chain of stores nationwide that does a lot of volume business and makes it own jewelry. I have bought multiple items there.

Near the I-5/55 freeway in Tustin, just north of Irvine.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to buy jewelry

Like any purchase it pays to be knowledgeable. That means understanding the basics (at least with diamonds) of cut, clarity and caret. If you're looking at sapphires or some other colored gems, heat treated or synthetic color is also something to understand. And getting a certificate that documents the gem you are getting (not an appraisal).

I too prefer older estate type jewelry. But I would never purchase anything from someone I didn't know without getting a second "opinion" or appraisal on it.

And another tip: never leave your jewelry with an appraiser you don't have complete trust in or they'll come back with substituted gems.

6. Re: where to buy jewelry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 05:19