We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homewood Suites--Del Mar or Liberty Station?

Denver
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Homewood Suites--Del Mar or Liberty Station?

Hi, hoping for advice from locals on where to stay on our upcoming trip. We'll be visiting San Diego in July (2 adults, 2 kids ages 12 and 2), and are trying to decide on the best location based on our interests and convenience factor with kids. Looking at Hiltons because we have honors points to use, and the amenities of the Homewood are great when traveling with kids. So I guess my questions are--which location has better access to a good family beach? Proximity to restaurants, shops, etc? We'll have a car but prefer to walk when we can. We're not planning on any theme parks, but possibly the zoo, hiking, torrey pines state park, and a lot of beach time. Any advice, pros/ cons would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Adrienne

Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve
Nature & Wildlife Areas, State Parks, Hiking Trails
Old Town San Diego State Historic Park
Historic Walking Areas, Neighbourhoods, State Parks
Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve
Canyons, Nature & Wildlife Areas, State Parks
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Homewood Suites--Del Mar or Liberty Station?

Hi Adriem

Welcome to San Diego.

First, neither of those hotels is directly on the ocean, so you'll have to drive to a beach from either. My recommendation of the two would be Liberty Station for several reasons--close to the airport; a quick 5-10 minute walk to the harbor at the Old Spanish Landing; shops and restaurants within walking distance at Liberty Station; and a little more convenient to sights downtown and the zoo. An easy 10-15 minute drive to Mission Beach with Belmont Park, or a 20-25 minute drive over the bridge to Coronado to its gorgeous beach.

The one in Del Mar is in a valley near where I-5 and I-805 join, and it's primarily residential or light business/industry around the area. While I haven't personally driven Vista Sorrento Parkway where the hotel is located, it doesn't appear that there's much in the way of restaurants or shops to walk to.

Zed

Edited: 31 December 2013, 22:25
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Homewood Suites--Del Mar or Liberty Station?

Hi adriem!

Personally, I would go with Liberty Station. You can have a view of the water and be a few minutes drive to several beaches. There is a very large park next door with a playground for the little one. There are some casual restaurants next door as well and a bigger variety a few minutes further. Good location to drive to most places within 5 to 20 mins. All the orange dots are restaurants

http://goo.gl/maps/nUyXl

The Del Mar location is a little further out. Sits on the side of the freeway and as far as I can tell there aren't really any restaurants with walking distance.

http://goo.gl/maps/x7t6J

Denver
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Homewood Suites--Del Mar or Liberty Station?

thanks to both of you for the advice!

Adrienne

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Homewood Suites--Del Mar or Liberty Station?

Calling that location "Del Mar" is a pig in a poke IMO -- doesn't even have a Del Mar mailing address. From that Homewood Suites to the village of Del Mar is almost 5 miles! It's definitely a light industrial/business park area and not one recommended for tourists.

There are some nice enough motels in the village but probably not with the space you're looking for.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Homewood Suites--Del Mar or Liberty Station?

If you want ta Hotel by the Beach, I would start with the New Carlsbad Hilton on the Pacific Ocean, or the Hilton Mission Bay Resort, and while not on the ocean, has the Bay Beach right in front off it. As mentioned above, neither Homewood Suites is near a beach.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32171-d2614364…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d119721-…

You lose the kitchen, but most of the rooms should have a fridge and microwave.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Homewood Suites--Del Mar or Liberty Station?

Also - when in July are you coming? San Diego has it's biggest convention of the year, ComicCon. The dates are July 24 - 27 and you need to avoid those dates including leading up and just after. Hotels book up a year in advance in some cases and the rooms available will be expensive.

Carlsbad is a bit far out for the things you want to do. And in July the Fair is on at the Del Mar Fairgrounds and you can find yourself sitting in a lot of traffic at times. The combination of summertime and the fair really affects traffic at times and the Fair is between Carlsbad and SD.

I see that you say <<We'll have a car but prefer to walk when we can.>>. The Hilton Mission Bay is not walking distance to anything other the the bay and the trails. No restaurants, stores, shops.

Denver
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Homewood Suites--Del Mar or Liberty Station?

Thanks again for the helpful advice, and for the tip on the ComicCon convention (we'll definitely avoid that time now that we know).

Adrienne

8. Re: Homewood Suites--Del Mar or Liberty Station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 05:18