We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of four - two nights Feb accom tips please

melbourne town
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Family of four - two nights Feb accom tips please

Hi

I am doing my head in trying to choose. We are comning in from Anaheim on Friday 14th. We don't really want to have to hire a car during our stay, but will if it is needed. We jsut want to explore Balboa park, maybe the Zoo and Coronado. Is it best to stay in the downtown/ gaslamp area? Our kids are 7 and 9 so we don't mind catching the trolley or walking. We don't really need nightlife with the kids.

I have looked at Omni Hotel. Not sure I want to be in a massive Hilton with the kids, but the bayfront hotels do look nice. Happy to pay around $250.

Thanks

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of four - two nights Feb accom tips please

Hi !

Downtown would be a good choice to do the things you want to do and you wouldn't need a car. You can get to Coronado on the Ferry and then bus or taxi to get to the other side. Or you can take the 901 Bus from Downtown all the way to the Village / Beach

coronadovisitorcenter.com/directions/…

http://www.sdmts.com/home1.asp?from=mobile

You can take a bus or taxi to Balboa Park and the Zoo.

You might also look at the Old Town Trolley Tour to see if it's something that would make sense for your family

http://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/

Just curious - how are you planning on getting to San Diego from Anaheim?

melbourne town
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of four - two nights Feb accom tips please

Thanks Elizzie for your reply. Do you have any accomm recommends? We are planning on getting the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner. Otherwise if we determine that we need a car in SD then we will get one in Anaheim and drive down so we have use of car in SD.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of four - two nights Feb accom tips please

No problem! Any hotel downtown will be good for public transportation. Our downtown is rather small and you can walk from one end to the other in 30 mins for example. If you take the train to the Santa Fe Depot Station you can either take a taxi to just about any hotel for apprx $5 or so. Or take a bus or the Trolley to get you close.

The Omni is a very large hotel with a baseball theme. I've always heard good things about it. I've been inside many times but have only eaten in their restaurant. It really depends on your budget and what you like in a hotel. If you'd like a little more space you might look at the Residence Inn on 6th Ave and the Embassy Suites on Harbor Dr across from the bay.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of four - two nights Feb accom tips please

I forgot to mention that the hotels all charge for parking a car. So, if you decide to drive from Anaheim because you'd like to stop somewhere or drive some of the scenic coastal drive you should know that. Or, alternatively, you can drive to your hotel, check in, etc. and return the car so you don't have to pay the parking charges.

5. Re: Family of four - two nights Feb accom tips please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 05:19