We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Rental - Towns

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation Rental - Towns

I'm looking for a vacation rental in the San Diego area for the week of Jul1-8. It seems like the rental properties are a bit high priced that week in town and on the beach. I was wondering if anyone could advise me of a town within driving distance of beaches/sites. I'm looking at one rental in Chula Vista that has been described to me as an upscale neighborhood, but since I don't know the area at all, I was hoping for some input/feedback.

Thanks!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,994 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Rental - Towns

If it is "upscale" in Chula Vista there is a good chance it is the Eastlake area, which is a long ways from the beach.

What is your budget for the week? Did you look at the Top Question on where to find rentals in San Diego? Here is one of the links from that topic.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k690231…

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Rental - Towns

Hi,

I live in Chula Vista and if you could post at least an intersection of streets near the rental, I can provide more guidance. (Or send me a PM if you prefer.)

Scott is correct, though, that you will be away from many of the attractions, and that can complicate things.

During non-rush hours, I can be downtown in 25 minutes (and I live in the Eastlake part of CV); rush hours can be 45 minutes to an hour (or more).

There are a few attractions here in Chula Vista--the US Olympic Training Center; Aquatica Water Park; Living Coast Discovery Center.

Zed

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Rental - Towns

Besides the fact that it's high summer season at the beach the San Diego County Fair in Del Mar is on through July 6. So I'm not surprised that prices are high.

You might look for rentals in Bay Park, Point Loma, Ocean Beach, Mission Hills, Hillcrest & Bankers Hill. All within easy 15 mins drive to beaches. If you find some rentals you like within your budget we can help narrow them down for you based on location - street intersections, what's in walking distance, etc.

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation Rental - Towns

Yes, thank you. I started looking at the list this morning. I would like to stay around 1200 which is proving to be difficult.

I will look at the other towns mentioned and thanks for the heads up about the County Fair!

elizzie4000, I will PM you the intersection.

Thanks!

Edited: 03 January 2014, 18:47
Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation Rental - Towns

Oops - I meant Zed1958...

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation Rental - Towns

Also add Little Italy to the list of areas to look for a rental.

Virginia
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation Rental - Towns

Hi, here is a place that I have stayed and it is within 15 min to airport, 10 minutes to beach and has garage parking in the Mission Valley area (great shopping near also). Limited to 2 adults only, however. Here is the link www.vrbo.com/439901. Hope this helps.

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation Rental - Towns

Thanks everyone for your input, I found a reasonably priced rental in La Jolla that has everything we need, I'm sure as the summer gets closer, I'll have more questions!

Thanks again.

New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation Rental - Towns

That's great La Jolla is beautiful

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation Rental - Towns

you may already know this but there are places that have a la jolla address but are not very close to the "village". properties on the east site of freeway 5 have la jolla addresses. not necessarily a bad thing...but some people are disappointed thinking they are close to the "village/coast".