We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Jolla as a base?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
888 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
La Jolla as a base?

We have not been there is years but in the 90's it was considered the preferred base for tourists...is it still? We were looking for an oceanfront villa for a week close enough to good dining and litte day trips to be had.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,824 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Jolla as a base?

Hi,

La Jolla is certainly a lovely choice but not "preferred" by all as everyone has a different travel style. Not sure exactly the type of rental you are seeking as we don't usually call them "villas". There are houses and condo apartments for rent. IF you find something you like you can use Google maps and their "search nearby" function to see restaurants /stores. La Jolla has several different areas including La Jolla Shores, La Jolla Cove and others so do use the map to see where your rental is located and come back and give us the cross streets so we can add our opinions.

Some other possible areas that you might consider would be Del Mar and Coronado. You may find more opportunities and different pricing in those areas but they are all upscale with nice dining choices.

Toronto
Level Contributor
888 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Jolla as a base?

Maybe I should just say house or beach house...something 3 bedroom oceanfront. I will look into Del Mar and Coronado or would you send me further north even to Santa Barbara?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,824 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Jolla as a base?

These are all very expensive areas in summer.

You have to decide if you want to explore the activities/sights of San Diego County or if you'd prefer to go farther north and explore around Santa Barbara. There are different things to see/do in each area but all these are quite expensive!

The other towns in your other post would be much less expensive. You have not mentioned your budget at all so I have no idea exactly where would be best for you.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 14:32
Toronto
Level Contributor
888 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Jolla as a base?

5-6000 for the week?

Toronto
Level Contributor
888 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Jolla as a base?

There is not a specific "thing" we need to see when down. Part of the group will do The children/Disney thing the week prior. We just wish a nice safe place on the ocean with a good beach and options for day trips and nice dining. Open to any suggestions.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,824 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Jolla as a base?

I really like the beach at La Jolla Shores for families. It is a wide white sandy beach with the possibility of surfing instructions, kayak rentals/tours, grassy area with shade, and some lovely restaurants in walking distance with others a 5min. drive down the road.

I don't know your dates but you might also consider renting beachfront villas(yes they do call these villas) at the Hotel del Coronado on a gorgeous stretch of beach .

http://www.beachvillageatthedel.com/

Coronado has a small town feel with a main street that has restaurants/shops and it is across the bay from downtown San Diego .It is reached by a no toll bridge . Getting to downtown from Coronado takes about 10min. by car and about 15min. by passenger ferry or water taxi.(or land taxi)

Toronto
Level Contributor
888 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Jolla as a base?

Talked to the rest of my posse and Coronado is out....La Jolla Shores sounds good

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,311 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Jolla as a base?

Here are two Top Questions about renting beach houses and condos.

One is for Newport Beach in Orange County, the other for San Diego, especially the South Mission Beach area.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g659482-i12177-k63…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k690231…

In La Jolla, even in the Shores you will not be on the beach probably. In Newport Beach or South Mission Beach you could be. In fact in South Mission you could be on the beach on the ocean side or the beach on the bay side. I almost prefer the bay side because it so much quieter. Almost.

Toronto
Level Contributor
888 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Jolla as a base?

Okay....researcher in group just sent me links to 2 houses....Encinitas and Oceanside....which would you rather?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,824 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Jolla as a base?

more specific locations please?