We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego in March with kids---need help with everything!

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wisconsin
Level Contributor
89 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego in March with kids---need help with everything!

So my wife and I and our 2 kids, age 5 and 7, will be coming for 4 nights in late March. The only time I've been on the west coast is a layover on our way to Hawaii, so I don't know what to expect.

A few questions: Lodging: It would be nice to have a suite so my wife and I can stay up later than the kids. A view of the ocean would be a plus. We like things on the higher end side, we are a little spoiled. Clean is essential. Our budget would be around 500/night, could maybe stretch that if a place is amazing.

Things to do: Can we swim that time of year? In the ocean or in a pool? Legoland could be fun, the zoo could be fun. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help. I'm basically asking you to plan my vacation for me, so I appreciate the help. It's harder for me to plan things in an American city than a tropical island for some reason.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego in March with kids---need help with everything!

Hi chwtom - Unfortunately you aren't going to find too many hotels in that price range on the beach. Most are in a lesser category. The nicer more expensive hotels are not at the beach but a bit inland.

Hotel del Coronado is a nice hotel with a bigger price tag. They have built some Villas that might suite your needs. The rooms in the original bldg are all different and get different reviews.

http://www.hoteldel.com/

You might also look at L'auberge in Del Mar

http://www.laubergedelmar.com/ppc-special-offers.php?rt=google|cpc|LAB05-Lauberge-Del-Mar-Brand|l'auberge%20del%20mar&gclid=CMvI8Mvq7LsCFeU1Qgod-BQANQ

Most people find it too cold to swim in the ocean in March other than a quick dip. You can rent a wetsuit.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,857 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego in March with kids---need help with everything!

You could get a villa at the Marriott Coronado, but that is bay side, not ocean side.

You could also look north of the City of San Diego at some of the hotels in Carlsbad. There is the Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort that has villa (condo) rooms with separate bedrooms, Grand Pacific Palisades Resort has 2 & 3 bedroom villas.

That puts you closer to Legoland, but further from San Diego sights like the Zoo & SeaWorld.

I am afraid the other hotels that have suites that come to mind are not in the luxury category, more along the line of Residence Inns and Embassy Suites and not on the water or beach.

3. Re: San Diego in March with kids---need help with everything!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 05:20