We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condos or Vacation Rentals for a Family of 3

boise
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Condos or Vacation Rentals for a Family of 3

We are trying to plan a relaxing vacation for the three of us - early 30's and a 3 year old for 6 nights in either March or April - dates are flexible. We really need 2 bedrooms and want to be close/on the beach but also within walking distance to shops and restaurants so we don't have to drive much. Views would be nice. I'm not settled on a location but have been considering Mission or Pacific Beach. The only thing we want to do is visit Lego Land, but are willing to drive about an hour or so to that. I was looking at Capri by the Sea based on other forum comments, but I'm not sure how nice it is. We typically stay in 4 star hotels and it looks like a 3. Cleanlyness is probably my biggest concern. Budget is around $2000 but also flexible. The Capri looks like it's in a good location and I like that it has a pool and is on the beach. Any other locations/units we should be considering? Thanks everyone for the help.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condos or Vacation Rentals for a Family of 3

Pacific Beach - lots of hotels and rentals near places to walk to and eat. We've heard a lot of good feedback about Capri by the Sea. But, they are all individually owned so they can vary per unit.

Not all Mission Beach is equal as far as being able to walk to restaurants. So, pick carefully. When you get the address of a unit put it on googlemaps and do a 'search nearby' for restaurants. You'll be able to see what's within walking distance.

I would also consider Coronado - again making sure the rental or hotel is walking distance to restaurants.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,643 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condos or Vacation Rentals for a Family of 3

It is hard to compare a condo rental here to a 4**** hotel.

They don't have the same facilities. Many of the condos by the ocean don't even have pools.

I see from your profile that you go to Cabo which is quite a different sort of location!!

Here land at the ocean is VERY expensive so building is quite different.

You may also be interested to know that the ocean here is still quite chilly in the spring .

Ocean temps will be in the 60s while land temps may not get higher than 70F. You may find that you want to do other activities than just hang out by the pool or ocean.

You don't mention your budget??? IF you can go high end you might look at the villas at the Coronado Marriott(on the bay but close to ocean) or even higher at the villas at the Hotel del Coronado.(right at the beach)

Let us know how high(or low) you'd prefer and we may have other ideas.

New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condos or Vacation Rentals for a Family of 3

We stayed at Capri and it was beautiful and luxurious but as mentioned every unit is different...you can see them on vrbo.

4. Re: Condos or Vacation Rentals for a Family of 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 05:21